Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well I'd like to know how to get mplayer working in Red hat 9. I've been to the website but there are just so many sources etc. there that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mplayer how?

Well I'd like to know how to get mplayer working in Red hat 9. I've been to the website but there are just so many sources etc. there that I am confused. Please someone tell me exactly how to install it.
    Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    http://luna.cs.ccsu.edu/dominik/apt/...re6-1.i386.rpm
    then rpm -i mplayer-1.0pre6-1.i386.rpm

if that fails, http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/rel...0pre6a.tar.bz2
    then tar xjf MPlayer-1.0pre6a.tar.bz2
    cd MPlayer-1.0pre6a
    ./configure
    make
    su
    make install

or if all else fails, read the documentation: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/install.html

Just Joined!
    Well I've installed mplayer through the second method i.e compiling the source and its working fine but it doesnt have a GUI and controls etc. How do i get that?

Linux User
    Just start with gmplayer
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

well first of all you have to tell it to colpile the gui with the --enable-gui argument like this

./configure --enable-gui

then you go to the dowload page at www.mplayerhq.hu and pick a skin and unpack it to

/usr/local/share/mplayer/skins

for the first time you will need to change the name of the folder created by unpacking the skin to "default" so mplayer can actualy know something to load for the gui skin as mplayer doesnt actualy come with a default skin. you might also want to dowlaod a font too and place one of the font files fom the folder from the uncompressed package and place it in

/usr/local/share/mplayer/fonts

then continue with the "gmplayer" command

hope you dont mind if i ride your wave but i am having a coupla problems with mplayer myself

i get a message saying "New_Face failed. mabye the font path is wrong. please supply the text font file (~./mplayer/subfont.ttf)"

i dont know what it means. als i cant realy play wmv files. it starts trying but ends up posting a garbled multicolored image on the screen for about 10 seconds without any sound and then it cuts out.

im on fedora core 2 and i usualy have problems with just about everything so if you could help i would realy apriciate it.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Newbie
    i would go with gxine. get apt (which you can find http://apt.freshrpms.net/ ) and you can get most anything with that. when you get it and install it, in console type "apt-get upgrade" and "apt-get update" (i forget what order,i think it is update and then upgrade, but this will update apt and upgrade all of the software on your computer). then to get gxine, type apt-get install gxine. you can also search for packages by typing apt-cache search <package name or key word>. you will also going to need the w32codec if you plan on watching .wmv and related files. you can get that through apt as well. good luck!
    http://fedora.rehat.com

$> man woman
    $> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    hope you dont mind if i ride your wave but i am having a coupla problems with mplayer myself

i get a message saying "New_Face failed. mabye the font path is wrong. please supply the text font file (~./mplayer/subfont.ttf)"

i dont know what it means. als i cant realy play wmv files. it starts trying but ends up posting a garbled multicolored image on the screen for about 10 seconds without any sound and then it cuts out.

im on fedora core 2 and i usualy have problems with just about everything so if you could help i would realy apriciate it.
    *that annoying subfont.ttf is unhappy because there is no font set as the default for displaying subtitles. simply pick a font from your font directory (haven't used linux for a while so i don't know where it would be, especially not on fedora core) and ln -s it to ~/.mplayer/. however, it must be retitled subfont.ttf when placed in the mplayer directory. you should read the mplayer online documentation for further info.

*wmv files should work on mplayer if you installed the codecs. get them here: ftp://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/rele...050115.tar.bz2

ok, i think i had some bad wmv's, others work just fine. and about the subfonts, i dont actualy see what they do, mplayer has been able to do everything that i want it to now but i havent tried EVERYTHING so i guess it could mess with some functionality. but i have no clue about where they are are what they do so if someone could just tell me where they are and if possible what they do, it would be greatly apriciated.

also not to get TOO of topic, how do you change file permisions through the command line?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    ok, i think i had some bad wmv's, others work just fine. and about the subfonts, i dont actualy see what they do, mplayer has been able to do everything that i want it to now but i havent tried EVERYTHING so i guess it could mess with some functionality. but i have no clue about where they are are what they do so if someone could just tell me where they are and if possible what they do, it would be greatly apriciated.
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en...#mpsub-install, or just read what i posted above about linking fonts to ~/.mplayer, it's essentially the same as the documentation i just linked to.

when mplayer loads, it has to use a font to display subtitles. if you do not have a file in ~/.mplayer titled subfont.ttf, it will give you an error message. simply place any font file in ~/.mplayer or symbolically link it there (be sure to retitle it subfont.ttf), and you won't get the error message anymore, and you'll be able to view movies with subtitles.

OH, thank you. i just downloaded the font of of mplayerhq and then copied the fonts i wanted to the font folder. exept i copied the whole arial024... folder ther instead of its CONTENTS. now eveything works perfectly. i was also having a problem with dvd's. not all, only some. was this prorobly the cause?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast