Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Streaming one audio file to one specific IP using DLNA?

Hi! I have a speaker that shows up as a media device on my Windows 10 computer. And i can rigth click any audio file and chose to play it on the device. I have looked at the traffic and i think it plays it over DLNA.

I want to use it as a speaker for custom made text-to-speech files that will autoplay when it receives a command. I am therefore looking for a program that can stream a specific audio file to a specific IP using commands in terminal. I am going to run this on a raspberry pi running Rasbian.

I have tried using VLC but i dont think it supports broadcasting to a DLNA device.

Thanks for any help!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by boolav View Post
    I have looked at the traffic and i think it plays it over DLNA.
    "i think" won't cut it.
    make sure.

make web searches based on model & make, prepended by "linux".

I have tried using VLC but i dont think it supports broadcasting to a DLNA device.
    vlc can do almost anything with media, esp. playing it over network.

Thanks for the reply! The reason that i think it is over DLNA is because i sniffed the traffick and got this:

Code:
    Content-Type: audio/L16;rate=44100;channels=1
    Server: Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0
    X-AvailableSeekRange: 1 npt=0-1.344
    Accept-Ranges: none
    Scid.DLNA.ORG: 379972924
    TransferMode.DLNA.ORG: Streaming
    I have also tried every option with VLC, and when searching for it I only find old information that is saying that VLC does not support broadcasting to a DLNA device. But maybe I am doing something wrong here.

The device is a Kello alarm clock that i supported on Kickstarter. It is not alot information about it online.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    -->
    ok, i still don't know how you obtained that data (not with your nose i'm guessing), but insisting on specifying would imply that i am an expert in these matters - and i'm not.

there really doesn't seem to be any info on using this device with linux distros, the only thing i found even vaguely going in the right direction was this.

Quote Originally Posted by boolav View Post
    I am therefore looking for a program that can stream a specific audio file to a specific IP using commands in terminal. I am going to run this on a raspberry pi running Rasbian.
    generally speaking, i don't think you need "a program" for that; you simply have to figure out a command that would send that audio to a specific port. could be ffmpeg, could be cat.
    to a specific IP: your router has to take care of that, i think. or maybe telnet.