Find the answer to your Linux question:
One of my friends is using a spare computer (presently running XP Pro) as a dedicated media server. He has the sound plugged into his amp and playing mp3's on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dedicated media box

One of my friends is using a spare computer (presently running XP Pro) as a dedicated media server. He has the sound plugged into his amp and playing mp3's on his home audio system. Any suggestions on how to set up Linux as a headless media server?

Linux User
    I've already pimped it on here once today, but MPD is network capable, the daemon running on one rig and the frontend on the other. I think there's a Windows frontend too, but if I remember correctly it's recently deprecated, so I don't know if it works at all anymore.

What kind of capabilities is he looking for, exactly?
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    He is ripping his CD's into mp3's and storing them on his hard drive. He has a network already and would like to be able to manipulate his mp3 playing software remotely as this box is stuck in a closet in his living room. Ultimate goal is wireless manipulation with a pda or laptop. Making this headless (without monitor, mouse and keyboard) would be a plus. We probably need a keyboard for the box to boot though.

Linux User
    Well, first I'd look into distributions like Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, and Arch because they're very easy to setup headless as it's along the normal configuration path. To install and configure a user friendly distribution (read: RPM based) without an xserver tends to run you through hoops, in my experience.

Like I suggested, MPD would work very well for music files, and I think VLC would do many things you might need with video (if any), though I imagine an NFS mount is all you'd be looking for there. Of course, there are other network capable media players out there, look over linuxsoft.cz/en and sf.net to see what's available.

Or you could just use SSH.

It would probably open more possibilities if he hooked up a TV or old monitor and pulled it out of the closet, then you could use one of the file managers designed for remote controls.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Just Joined!
    Thank You