Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need help with this stupid program. Whenever I start the program, the sound is always set to mute be default. If turn up the volume, then close the program, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MPlayer always muted when started up

Need help with this stupid program. Whenever I start the program, the sound is always set to mute be default. If turn up the volume, then close the program, it always goes back to mute when I start the program again. This also annoying because I can't seem to get sound with MPlayerplug-in at all (dunno if it's related, though).

Anybody know of a way to set the volume MPlayer will start with, or is there something else I need to do?

Linux Enthusiast
    maybe it's set that way in the config file? It could also be related to the whole system, not just Gnome, I've had problems like that related to mute being the default for alsa (primary linux sound system) before, forget how to fix it though, sorry.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Linux User
    Mplayer lowers the volume to 0% whenever it's not playing, but then raises the volume automatically when it starts. On my system it gets the level from alsa's pcm channel, but that may vary sound card to sound card.

If this isn't what you're witnessing, then you may need to raise the levels in alsamixer, and then store them with 'alsactl store'. If alsamixer isn't available, then try aumix or look in your menus for a graphical mixer. You probably shouldn't unmute and raise levels on channels you don't use as it can result in noise from EMI on some cards.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Forget it, I switched to gmixer anyway. MPlayer in general gave me too many headaches.

Linux Enthusiast
    You were using MPlayer for general audio? wow...
    I only ever use it for video.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    Oops, I meant gxine. I use beep-media-player for audio.