Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was wondering what distro is best for running games. I know you use Cadega, but I'm not sure if the distro matters, so I decided to ask this question. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Best distro for games?

I was wondering what distro is best for running games. I know you use Cadega, but I'm not sure if the distro matters, so I decided to ask this question.

Thanks

onlinebacon

I don't think it really matters all that much, but I would recommend going with one of the "big name" distros just so that more people would be able to help if you run into problems.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Enthusiast
    OK,

Thanks for the quick reply dude.

onlinebacon

Re: Best distro for games?

Quote Originally Posted by onlinebacon
    I was wondering what distro is best for running games. I know you use Cadega, but I'm not sure if the distro matters, so I decided to ask this question.
    Cedega is used to run games on Linux that were originally designed to run on MS Windows. It *should* run on just about any Linux distribution, but it may not work at all on your hardware regardless of your distro (my experience).

If you want an OS just to play games, use MS Windows. The games will always run better on the OS for which they were designed. I don't mean to sound rude here, but a lot of people don't realize that Linux is a completely different animal than MS Windows.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Re: Best distro for games?

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Linux is a completely different animal than MS Windows.
    Linux is a animal (a penguin), while Windows is an imanimate object that lets bad people, sorry I mean light into a room.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I've run UT2003 in mandrake but then again it had a linux install.

I've been trying to find out if someone has already asked a gaming sound question but I don't think I'm using the search engine of this site propperly.

Quote Originally Posted by apparition
    I've run UT2003 in mandrake but then again it had a linux install.
    Yes, there are a few notable games that have native Linux versions, often installable through the Win32 game CDs. Off the top of my head these include Doom 1-3, Quake 1-3, Unreal Tournament, UT2003, UT2004, Neverwinter Nights, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and probably more that I can't think of right now. Installers are also available for some games using WINE or Cedega, on this site.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I usually don't buy games anymore unless they release a linux version, and then I will contact the company and thank them for making a linux version.

Of course, that severely cuts down my choices as far as gaming is concerned, but hey...if I wanted to play games that much, I'd just buy a console.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    One of the leaner and faster Distros. Slackware(my choice distro), Gentoo, or Debian possibly. The differences will still be minimal, however. I fine Gentoo and Slackware to be among the fastest distrobutions you can use, and consquently also the fastest gaming distrobutions.

Linux Enthusiast
    thanks for all of the replies people, that site was really useful.

onlinebacon