Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was surprised to not find a whole lot when I did a search on MP3 rippers for Linux, but I downloaded and built Grip and the lame encode library, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD to MP3

I was surprised to not find a whole lot when I did a search on MP3 rippers for Linux, but I downloaded and built Grip and the lame encode library, and I must say, I'm really impressed! Rips and encodes pretty fast. What other good tools are out there?

Running Slackware 10 with Gnome and KDE dual booting with XP on a Athlon XP2800 machine.

Matt

I'm suprised you didn't find a ton of rippers for Linux. Grip is good. KDE comes with one called KAudioCreator that I've used as well. I'm not sure if Amarok does ripping, but it's a neat little playback app. I'm sure someone else will have more examples.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    Audacity is another nice one. It's more for editing music then just ripping it, but it'll do both.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I was pretty surprised too. I'm sure they're out there, but sometimes search engines are less than helpful. I did read about KAudioCreator in a later search on here (actually about someone having problems with it) and found it buried in the KDE directory. I thought it had a cleaner interface than Grip, but I wouldn't say it's better. I was a little surprised it ran in Gnome without any problems, but then I am still a noob. I'll check out the other programs you guys listed, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickMatt
    I was a little surprised it ran in Gnome without any problems, but then I am still a noob.
    Yeah, as long as you have the correct runtime libraries installed, KDE apps will run in Gnome and vice-versa. If you have both desktop environments installed, you have the right libraries. There is a slight memory cost to doing this (since you're running the libraries for both Gnome and KDE at the same time) but most users wouldn't notice any performance drop.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok, I have been successful ripping cd's, but only if I am logged in as root. I have added the entries to fstab to set umask to 000 on /dev/scd0, and I am able to mount and unmount, and even eject, the cdrom using a regular user id. However when I try to rip in kaudiocreator, I get an access denied, and the audiocd browser in konquerer only works if I am root. If I try to use cdparanoia at the command line, again it works as root, but if logged in as a regular user I get this:

Checking /dev/scd0 for cdrom...
    Testing /dev/scd0 for cooked ioctl() interface
    /dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
    Testing /dev/scd0 for SCSI interface
    No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd0

Certainly seems like a permissions issue, but since I am able to mount and unmount, and browse any files on a data cd when it is mounted, it would seem to me the permissions are correct, but there must be something else I have the change permissions on or add my user to another group.

I am in the following groups:

gid=100(users) groups=100(users),6(disk),10(wheel),11(floppy),17( audio),18(video),19(cdrom)

From fstab:
    /dev/scd0 /mnt/dvd auto ro,noauto,users,umask=000 0 0
    /dev/scd1 /mnt/dvdr auto ro,noauto,users,umask=000 0 0

This is driving me nuts! I hate having to log in as root to rip cds. What am I missing?

Just Joined!
    Well, stranger things have happened....

I decided to try another google search and changed my terms a little... ran across a page that had the answer I needed. http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/...ay/004383.html

the strange part.. the previous time I ran cdparanoia it said it could not find a generic scsi device. The next time I ran it, it said:

Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
    generic device: /dev/sg0
    ioctl device: /dev/scd0
    Could not open generic SCSI device /dev/sg0: Permission denied

Toward the top of the page I linked to, it states you have to have access to the generic scsi device, /dev/sg0 (number may vary I guess). I changed permissions on the device to 644 to give me read access. I think that may have been when the permission denied error started happening, so maybe it's not so strange. So I changed the permissions to give everyone write access to /dev/sg0, and then it worked! The audiocd browser in konqueror works too.

I hope the more noob-friendly distros make this easier for people that aren't willing to dig as hard or as long as me. I just have this thing about not giving up.... I hate that I had to find it on google instead of on here, but the search engine wasn't turning up anything useful.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    I'm suprised you didn't find a ton of rippers for Linux. Grip is good. KDE comes with one called KAudioCreator that I've used as well. I'm not sure if Amarok does ripping, but it's a neat little playback app. I'm sure someone else will have more examples.
    I tried using grip, but when installing it's libraries it says that it conflicts with some mandrake file. I read somewhere that grip was only for gnome, and i like KDE. Am i like bouncing off a wall or just doing something wrong? Like the starter of this thread, i just want to convert my cd's to mp3's, have some music in my car and stuff.

Just Joined!
    I tried using grip, but when installing it's libraries it says that it conflicts with some mandrake file. I read somewhere that grip was only for gnome, and i like KDE.
    It just sounds like a version conflict with the libraries you have for the version of mandrake you are running (surely it's not mandrake problem). I am run grip under KDE just fine, as well as Gnome. I can't remember which I was running when I built grip, but since all the libraries for both are installed, it built fine, and runs in both KDE and Gnome.

Ok, after writing all that, I'm thinking to myself, "have I really run it under KDE yet?" I know I first ran it under Gnome because that's the WM that I currently have selected for root, and it took me a while to get cdparanoia (the ripper) working as a regular user. I do know that the KDE rip UI (Kaudiocreator) is working just fine, because that's what I have been using lately, after downloading and building grip, because I like the file naming better). I will confirm this tonight when I get home and reply again.