Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, so ive got a turtle beach santa cruz (cs46xx to linux), and i want to reattain my rigged 4.2 analog surround sound i had in windows. mk, google is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mirroring the front/rear channels on a cs46xx with alsa

ok, so ive got a turtle beach santa cruz (cs46xx to linux), and i want to reattain my rigged 4.2 analog surround sound i had in windows. mk, google is my friend.

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

This is a good sound card, and it works great with ALSA, except one thing: The sound-card does not automatically mirror the Front channel to the Rear - so stereo sounds (the majority of them) just stay stereo. This can be gotten around using the asoundrc.

As with the Midiman DMAN above, to record from the input jack on this card you have to set all of LINE, CAPTURE and ADC to Captur(e), unmute all three, and set levels appropriately.

On my system at least, alsamixer detects two CAPTURE channels. The leftmost one was the one that I had to adjust to get recording to work.
    well cool, that didnt sound that hard. heh, i should know better.

ok, so they mentioned asoundrc... yeah. but they didnt tell me what to do with it! *whine*

so i found:
    http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...module=Generic
    alsa's docs on it.

anywho... nothing jumped out at me as being about setting which channels are record and so forth. did i miss something? does somebody know what they want me to do? haha.

Linux Enthusiast
    In linux, at least for me, usually if I don't have the surround enabled, the front and rear channels output the same thing, 4-speaker stereo, which I think is what you're looking for. To do this, first from the command line run:
    Code:
    alsamixer
    and find the settings for the front and rear channels, make sure that both are unmuted and turned all the way up, then find the setting for 3d controller and mute it, and lastly mute the surround setting, oh, and make sure that the PCM is muted as well. That should do it, just run whatever program and the front and rear channels should both be the same with stereo.

Just Joined!
    ehm... well, i dont remember any front/rear stuff in alsamixer... but ill check. im at school right now (woo, newspaper deadline. we got tshirts tonight, "the increscent: creating controversy since 1896", haha)... so im stuck on windows...

oh.

theres a lot of... devices? that are listed in alsamixer for the cs46xx that are followed by the same name, with a 1 appended to them. Line, Line1, and so forth. perhaps thats our mystical front and rear? dunno, though, cause youd think, then, that there would be three (0, 1, and 2) for front, rear and center/sub (as this is a 5.1 card).

eh, ill check. thanks, man.

Just Joined!
    musasabi,

did you ever get this working? I'm having similar troubles with my turtle beach... the mixer isn't saying anything about front/rear channels and I don't see how to use asoundrc to accomplish anything.

If you had success, could you post how you did it? thanks.

Just Joined!
    nope, it never worked... sorry.

hehe, i ended up just swapping out my santa cruz for an old sblive.