Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recently became a Linux user, and I am having difficulty finding a media player that would be best for my needs. I have dvd/cd drive, and I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux Media players (for video/music)

I just recently became a Linux user, and I am having difficulty finding a media player that would be best for my needs. I have dvd/cd drive, and I want to be able to listen to midi and mp3s as well as watch dvds. Any suggestion?

~Zacatack23~

Linux Enthusiast
    mplayer

Just Joined!
    Okay, got the rpm, tried the installation, and I get this:

warning: mplayer-1.0pre6-1.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 16a61572
    error: Failed dependencies:
    libmp3lame.so.0 is needed by mplayer-1.0pre6-1

Could somebody pleace decipher this for me?

~Zacatack23~

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Linux Enthusiast
    You could try kaffeine

Linux User
    Well, Mplayer or Xine are probably the best options for playing video files, but they kind of suck for playing MP3's since they don't have much in the way of playlist management. I use MPD with PyMPC, MPC, and NCMPC for all my Flac needs. Mplayer can also be used for playing DVD's, but I use VLC for playing from optical.

I think most people use XMMS or BMP for MP3/OGG/FLAC these days, and they can both play CD's too. Then you'd just need two. I hear Totem is also a good option, but I haven't used it enough to comment.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude500
    You could try kaffeine
    Kaffein and Totem aren't media players. They're front ends to Xine.
    For Xine, I prefer to use Xine-ui front-end.
    To the OP, I suggest that you install Xine, MPlayer, RealPlayer10 and Timidity. You'll also want libdvdcss2(can't play an encrypted(regionallized) DVD without it).
    Xine is a better DVD player than MPlayer. MPlayer offers more codecs. For midi's, you'll need Timidity because Xine and MPlayer don't do midi. Then you'll want to install RealPlayer10 if you want to play Real streams since the others don't stream Real content(they'll play Real if the files are on the local machine).
    Finally, after you've installed the media players, you'll want to go to
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html and read up on installing browser plugins so you can deal with streaming media.
    Plugger, Real, Flash, Java and Acroread should cover pretty much everything.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?