Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got an album with a 'bonus' DVD, and I'm wondering what the best way to rip this to flac would be. Right now it's all theoretical since I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

what's the best way to rip from DVD and encode to flac?

I just got an album with a 'bonus' DVD, and I'm wondering what the best way to rip this to flac would be. Right now it's all theoretical since I don't have a DVD drive in my rig, but I'll be picking up a Plextor DVD+/-RW soon, so I'd like an idea of where to start.

I know I can always loop the line out back to the line in on my sound card and capture that. I imagine I could do this with Audacity, right? Are there any better pieces of software were I to use this method?

What about a CD Paranoia like solution. Is there anything out there capable of ripping an audio track from a DVD into something the flac encoder can handle?

By the way, has anyone tried an SATA optical drive with 2.6 yet?

Thanks all
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

I remember reading briefly about SATA and optical drives not being entirely sane yet, but I can't remember exactly what it said or where it was...

I'd actually use dvd::rip. You can rip the audio track separately from the DVD, IIRC.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    Very cool kind sir
    I assume you speak of the GTK frontend to transcode which I'm seeing in my repository.

Now only 5 more paychecks until I can afford my new rig with that DVD burner
    *sigh*
    Ah well, maybe SATA opticals will be straightened out by then, or even better, Plextor will release a SCSI version.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    Very cool kind sir
    I assume you speak of the GTK frontend to transcode which I'm seeing in my repository.

Now only 5 more paychecks until I can afford my new rig with that DVD burner
    *sigh*
    Ah well, maybe SATA opticals will be straightened out by then, or even better, Plextor will release a SCSI version.
    I'm sure they will be. I'll see if I can't dig up that info on SATA and optical drives.

Yes, the gtk frontend to transcode is the program of which I speak. It's really robust and easy to use. I can't imagine digging through the manpages to figure out all the command-line commands to rip/encode a DVD...

Just out of curiosity, what are the proposed specs on your new box?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    Thanks for searching about the SATA opticals, I've been firing off a google.com/linux every here and there, but I haven't had time to really find anything in awhile.

I don't know, I'm a sucker for convoluted man pages, I always like to learn something on the command line before I get a graphical frontend. Maybe it's just some sick form of masochism

It's going to be built in stages
    The first one:

Albatron K8Ultra-V Pro K8T800 Pro (S754)
    2x Crucial PC3200 512MB (for 1GB total)
    one of those upcoming AMD Turion MT-30 (1.6Ghz, <25w, 1MB L2)
    LSI U160 SCSI
    Seagate 36.7GB 10k U160
    Seagate 7200.8 300GB
    Plextor 16x dual layer DVD+/-RW
    then I'm torn between an Nvidia 6200 or 6600 defanned, or a Matrox P160
    Terratec Aureon Universe or Terratec DMX 6fire sound
    Fortron ATX2.0 400W power supply
    and I'm completely undecided on the case, I really want a Soldam but I'm not sure of the specs of their new Altium full tower yet, we'll see if it will handle stage 3

Stage 2:
    Planar PL2010M (1600x1200, 20" LCD)

Stage 3:
    an LSI 6 port SATA RAID 5 controller
    5 more of the Seagate 7200.8 drives, with the current one as a hot spare

Stage 4:
    I'll move everything here to a dual core Athlon next year and use it to netboot an HTPC, as well as firewall for my local network and serve jabber and email

Any thoughts? See any disasters waiting to happen?
    Michael Salivar

--Goethe