Find the answer to your Linux question:
oh please say its not true... I want to play WC III FT on Linux and complete my transformation from a Windows Slave to a Lindows Frat Boy....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is a subscription the only way to play Games on Linux :(

oh please say its not true...

I want to play WC III FT on Linux and complete my transformation from a Windows Slave to a Lindows Frat Boy.

Linux User
    Well, Cedega is just an optimized version of WineX, I'm pretty sure they even merge upstream. So technically, I'm pretty sure, you can accomplish everything with WineX that you can with Cedega, there's just more configuration.

Also, I've read that Cedega has anonymous CVS access. That means you can build it for free if you're willing to learn how.

And don't forget to email Blizzard respectfully requesting that they support GNU and BSD with their excellent games in the future. I think there's a WoW petition floating around, that would be a great place to start.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux Engineer
    WARNING! You can get TFT working fine with Cedega but not the World Editor! I don't think Cedega has full support for Direct3D yet but they say they're almost finished here.

And there is a WoW Linux petition here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethyriel
    Well, Cedega is just an optimized version of WineX, I'm pretty sure they even merge upstream. So technically, I'm pretty sure, you can accomplish everything with WineX that you can with Cedega, there's just more configuration.
    Close, but not quite. Transgaming's Cedega is a commercial product based on the WINE project. Versions of Cedega before 3.x were known as WineX, but are no longer.

The main differences between WINE and Cedega are that Transgaming has licensed copy-protection algorithms from people like SafeDisc and SecuROM so that their product can use copy-protected MS Windows CDROMS (which accounts for probably 90% of the new games market). Also, Transgaming *claims* that their support for Microsoft DirectX is better than that of the WINE project, but that's anyone's guess. Cedega in my experience is hit and miss. Some games work on some machines, and some machines won't run anything at all.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the best way to play games that are designed for MS Windows in my opinion is to play them *in* Microsoft Windows. Linux is not MS Windows, nor do I believe it should be. If you want your games that badly, dual boot. There's no shame in using whatever OS suits your needs best.

Also, I've read that Cedega has anonymous CVS access. That means you can build it for free if you're willing to learn how.
    Transgaming.org offers the free CVS version of Cedega for download, minus the parts they can't include for legal reasons.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants