Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Im sure this has come up many times here, i was wondering if anyone knew why linux doesnt support most games, in the future will it support games? Thanks in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Games for Linux

Im sure this has come up many times here, i was wondering if anyone knew why linux doesnt support most games, in the future will it support games? Thanks in advance.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'm not a gammer but I have a guess. Supply and demand. If you make games for a living you want to sell as much as possible which is only fair. So you start by targeting the largest audience which is the Windows platform in PC and of course the specialty game boxes.

They can sell alot more games with the same investment dollars to the Windows world then to the Linux world because of the hugh number of Windows only users to the few but growing Linux users.

Just my opinion,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

You think?

You think they will ever make games for both OS's?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    There are some games for linux nnow which others may comment on, I just don't know them. If linux continues to grow in popularity it may get more attention from the "for profit" developers both for games and other applications.

Some linux people want to keep linux a higher level user operating system so they wouldn't want that, but others just want a solid product to choose from that competes with M$ which in certain area's Linux already is.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

Jeez

Well id like to use linux for gaming because of its open source, and also wouldnt you think it would run much smoother and faster than say windows? I also have a question i would like to learn more about BSD, i know its used for running servers, does it run better than linux? ive been to thier site but it doesnt tell me much about what the OS is used for.

if im am not mistaking Quake 3 and Unreal Tournement 2003, both have linux versions. and i know there is more but i cant think of them off the top of my head. if i find more i will post them.

i also believe that the Sims has a version for linux too. but im still looking for more games. i cant find anymore but i know there is plenty of them, and if you you really want to you can use WINE to simulate windows and play windows games.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!

Wine?

Wine?

Linux Guru

Re: Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by envisi0n
    Wine?
    http://www.winehq.com/

Check out www.winehq.com and www.transgaming.com
    The last one is specially made for handling games. It even has DirectX support.
    But there was a company who ported a lot of games to GNU/Linux, called Loki. (www.lokigames.com)

They ran out of buisness, which was kind of sad to see

But ID Games f.x. has been doing their work, and quake 3 is ported to GNU/Linux, and Quake 1 & 2's sourcecode is open.

But I suggest that if you want to play useable games, dualboot with windows or buy yourself a PS2. Wine(x) will give you somewhat bader preformance.

Just Joined!

So if

So if i download this program called wine to my linux OS i will be able to play windows games too??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast