Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am fairly new to the Linux community and I need help choosing a distro for a modded laptop system I am building. It has 192mb of Ram and a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro Help

I am fairly new to the Linux community and I need help choosing a distro for a modded laptop system I am building. It has 192mb of Ram and a 700mhz Celeron processor. It is a Jetta 7700. I want to use it to play DVD and video files, some basic word processing, office software, internet use, and run some old gaming system emulators. I would also like it to be able to use some type of gaming controller. It will probably only have a 10gig hard drive so I am looking for the most compact installation available. What do you recommend?

Looking at your specs, you can run almost any modern distro provided you create a swap space of ~400 - 600 MB.

I would Suggest in order:
    1. Mandrake
    2. Fedora
    3. Debian
    4. SuSE
    5. Gentoo

Take your pick out of these, they can be customised to take up anywhere between 600 MB - 3 G of hard drive (including GUI, programs etc.).

Linux Newbie
    Delete Me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    A system with:
    *OS*
    Fedora Core 3,
    *Apps*
    Mplayer
    OpenOffice
    X-Chat
    *Emulators*
    ZSNES
    Gens
    FCE Ultra
    *Should Get Autoconfigured*
    Basic USB Drivers
    Modem Drivers

Don't go for gentoo if you don't want fedora, it has a long and tedious installation, and you have to compile it from scratch.