Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Weird problem with xmms

I just installed the latest version of xmms, but I'm facing a weird problem. The MP3s on my HDD plays properly, but the when I try to play MP3 from a CD, it just plays the first 20 seconds and jumps to the next song in the playlist. Same thing happens when I try to play a single file. I checked out the options, but didn't find any clue... what's wrong?

can you play normal audio CD's properly?

Also, how did you mount the CD, and run from xmms?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    can you play normal audio CD's properly?

Also, how did you mount the CD, and run from xmms?
    Nope, I can't play audio CDs using xmms, nor with the defult CD Player; it says "invalid disk"!

Fedora Core 3 automatically the mounts my ASUS DVD-ROM drive... :newbie: here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you mount the CD, then copy a file or 2 to the hard disk, does it play them ok?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

yeah...
    it does that for me too...
    you have to copy the song(s) to ur hdd and make sure u have privelages on them....then play them.

I also get this problem with Xmms. I fixed it once, but the problem re-occured when I installed Mandriva LE - I can't play CDs with Xmms as it displays /mnt/cdrom as empty from within the application.

I can't remember how I sorted it out last time I've a feeling it had something to do with altering permissions somewhere. I prefer to use Xmms for CDs rather than the default app.

I also remember finding a wierd work-around which involved going into a Visualisation plug-in and re-configuring it. Then it found all the cd tracks and played them I know this is odd
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso