Find the answer to your Linux question:
i can seem to record sound in audacity. i can hear myself when i talk into the mic but its not being recorded (same with line in) the same haves ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

trouble recording sound

i can seem to record sound in audacity. i can hear myself when i talk into the mic but its not being recorded (same with line in)

the same haves with teamspeak (sound in and out)

both are useing /dev/dsp

whats going on?

Linux Engineer
    You arent using KDE? If so, try turning off ARTS or maybe turning off ESD if you use gnome... If you don't mind commandline, you could check if you have the commands "rec" or "record" installed:
    Code:
    rec /home/user/test.ogg
    Code:
    record

Linux Newbie
    thanks problem fixed it was arts

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Hey,

I have the same problem i think, can hear the sound through speakers but its not recording it in audacity!

What exactly did you do to fix it? Im using GNOME in mandrake 10.1 Official.

THanks!

Linux Newbie
    try this:

press ctrl + esc

search for artsd and kill it.

its hogging the sound.

Just Joined!
    Is there any way to record without killing arts?

I like using arts because then I can use Teamspeak and listen to music at the same time. Or is there any other way to do so?

Linux Newbie
    well arts is nessisary for some music players but not all, have you tried xmms?

Just Joined!
    Thatís not the problem. The problem is that artsdsp is the only possibility for TeamSpeak not to block the sound device. At least the only possibility Iíve found so far.

I think Iíve found the problem why recording doesnít work at my computer: Iíve ALSA dmix plugin activated. And I read somewhere that this enables using the sound device by multiple applications at the same time, but only for playing and not for recording. So Iíve got to write in some configuration file which application may use the sound device for recording. But I havenít found how to do that until now.