Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss
    you can download the cvs version from sf.net for free, and legally
    I actually paid the subscription fee and it was actually worth it I believe cause I use the support forum in there and there is allot of useful news and help in it.

how much is the subscription?
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Gaming is one of the reasons I still have to dual boot. Unfortunately, there are much fewer Linux games than Windows ones, actually most of the great games can't be played in Linux. This is the fault of game producers, they should think more at Linux users. If there were really Linux games as good as the Windows one and if my scanner worked on Linux, I would completely give up Windows. I have to still use Windows for scanning and gaming.(for anything else I usually use Linux) Hopefully one day gamemakers will give up supporting the Windows monopoly and produce also Linux games. Presently it's not the case.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I'm not a gammer but seems running a app between your game and your OS would only slow the action/responses down and or degrade the display.

Seems dual boot is the way to go for a gamer. Run win games on win and linux games on linux with no 3rd party software to slow things down. So no emulators for either OS.

Just my 2 cents,
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

yeah thats what i have been thinking but i thought i woudl see what everyone that was using winex or something like it think fo it
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    I don't think and app running between your OS and your game would slow your system down. Most PC gamers have more than enough power for their computer to handle anything. Minimum and Recommended requirements are usually far different. And most gamers have other apps running in the back ground anyways, for example I play an MMORPG and usually have WinMX and some type of messenger program (Meca or MSN)running in the background which runs without any visual slowdown whatsoever, but everynow and then the system decides to do a virus scan which you can easily tell causes a little lag in the system. This is just on a 1.6 with 512 Ram and an integrated GeForce 2. It just depends on how much of your system the app tends to use.

Linux Engineer
    I assume the selection for a dual boot gamer would be far greater than any single OS could ever offer. Since we don't know what the next great game will run on what platform, I'd be interested in max. flexibity. Hence the dual boot vs linux and wine variations.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    Most games come out on Windows (some have linux support though) because how many moms or dads that hear their 14 or so year old boy or girl raving about Quake are going to do some online research and teach their children linux? They're going to run to Office Depot ask a sales person which computer will run the game. The sales associate will point to the best computer and the parent will buy it. What os will it have? Windows XP. And alot of gamers out there are TRULY intrigued by Linux but are too afraid of the hassle to learn it. I'm one of the few who are taking the plunge, but if I can't get WineX to work well on my system before Sept 11th (when I move away from my computer guru and can't just hop in the car with my pc) I'll find a copy of XP to load. (There was a guy on techtv who has a site on the net that knows every background running program in xps registery that one can turn off, talk about trimming the fat ) But of course that's worse case scenario for me.

<---- Cause I like that Penguin Dammit!

Just Joined!

Re: Gaming With Linux

Quote Originally Posted by h@dow Dr@gon
    I was wondering if there were any differences in gaming with a linux system compare to a windows system. Is there a different way to install them, run them, any problems in game play? I'll have a dual boot system, but I want to get rid of windows completely eventually
    Well I only play games in Linux I do not have windows installed for a very only time now. With a mixture of ported to linux games, winex, loki games, wine crossover, games available for multi-platforms i.e. ut2k3, quake3, enemy territory, etc I play any games I fancy.
    I currently play on Linux.
    Unreal Tournament
    Return to Castle Wolfentein
    Quake 3 Arena
    Enemy Territory
    Quake 2
    Medal of Honer
    Medal of Honer – SpearHeads
    SOF
    SOF2
    Tuxracer
    …….
    …….
    …….
    All installation description and game availability at: http://www.icculus.org/lgfaq/gamelist.php

Have FUN!

Just Joined!

battlefield 2

any one run battlefield 2 on linux