Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings all. I am looking to build an mp3 player for the car which could be removed easily and stuck under the telly/stairs etc. As a dedicated mp3 player, there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

car / understairs headless mp3 player

Greetings all.

I am looking to build an mp3 player for the car which could be removed easily and stuck under the telly/stairs etc. As a dedicated mp3 player, there is no need for a monitor, but a small lcd display hanging off the parallel port will suffice for the minimal messages(song information) the listener needs. I have looked at a few of the minimal distributions in the list at linux.org, but none seems to be suitable for me. Could someone suggest a distribution without x as its just not needed, which could be added to for the functionality I need.
    The hardware I have at the moment for building this is an old P133 machine, 96MB RAM with a soundblaster built in. I have a CF to IDE adaptor to keep the boot process solid state, and will mount a HD read only for the songs.

Thanks for reading this, and bigger thanks for any helpful replies you make.
    Matty272

Just Joined!
    i guess you have to build your own system from scratch, but take look at here: http://www.team-mp3.com/mp3/mp3_projects.htm

PS. i think 96mb of ram is overkill, 16 will do just fine

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply and links, unfortunately the main links from the page are not working at the moment (2005/05/12 14:24).

The reason there is 96 MB on the board is thats what was left unusable when I upgraded the board way back when!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close