Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a wmv that has a codec that xine, xmms, totem, vlc and several other players can't view. I have downloaded the essential codec files. It says to place ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

viewing a wmv

I have a wmv that has a codec that xine, xmms, totem, vlc and several other players can't view. I have downloaded the essential codec files. It says to place the files in "/usr/local/lib/codecs/" or "/usr/lib/codecs" or "/usr/local/lib/win32" or "/usr/lib/win32" but I can't find any of those directories.

What do I do with these codecs or is there some other viewer that will allow me to view the wmv file?

you have to make those directories. I normally just rename the essential folder and mv it to the correct location

yes, you should be able to play wmv then.
    Brilliant Mediocrity - Making Failure Look Good

Quote Originally Posted by Vergil83
    you have to make those directories. I normally just rename the essential folder and mv it to the correct location

yes, you should be able to play wmv then.
    An important step that I think Vergil83 forgot to mention is that after you create those directories you must then put the codecs you downloaded into them...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Download win32codec-all

with apt-get . Boy I love that...

It will be installed automatically, and you should be able to play wmv with xine / kaffeine.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **