Find the answer to your Linux question:
But when you compare the $200 console to the $$$ that you'd spend keeping your computer ready to handle the newest games, I think you'd be better off. Now that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

But when you compare the $200 console to the $$$ that you'd spend keeping your computer ready to handle the newest games, I think you'd be better off. Now that I've all but stopped gaming on my PC, I don't really care about my video card anymore...I don't have to worry about buying a Radeon 9xxx or GeForceFX to play HL2 or Doom2k3...

I guess maybe you'd end up spending more on games, though, because there are so many more good games for consoles than the PC...but that's optional spending anyways.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I love console gaming. But I also love PC gaming. I see them as two very different markets. To me, no First Person Shooter on consoles can come close to PC ones. Yeah, there's some good ones, like Halo and such. Wait until Halo for PC comes out though, and we'll talk again...The PC's ability to have so much more input devices is very helpful for some games. Second, I tend to see Role Playing Games this way, Console seems to do better with turn based RPGs, and PC tends to do better with Real-Time RPGs. My final thing with computer games is...the best computer games will always look better than the best console games.

PC Gamers!!! :rock:

I can't say that I've ever been as effective with dual analog sticks as I am with my good old trackball and wasd keys as far as FPS's go. That's the biggest market, IMHO, that PC gaming has over console gaming. RPGs I think are console dominated. Kingdom Hearts is a prime example of an excellent real time RPG for the console world.

I'm not anti-PC gaming in any way...I just don't hold it highly enough to honor M$ with a Windows partition on my box.

i guess im a console gamer. the main reason that i dont play any pc games is cause i dont own a good enough computer to run any of the top comptuer games out there right now. all i have is my laptop. it can play CS but im pretty sick of that game and i was pretty sick of it pretty fast actally. and personally feel that FPS are really good on the console i have played plenty of them and i really like the dual anolog sticks. and i ahve gotten pretty good with them. i will say im probly better with the mouse and keyboard but its easier to learn then the console controllers are for FPS. and for the RPG's IMO consoles total rule the stage. i also think the sport games are pretty much IMO only fun on the console. i have never played one on the pc but maybe someday i will.

well that was my 2 cents on the subject.

edit: o one more think. im sure as soon as i build myself a good desktop i will be playing more pc games but its so expensive and i cant afford it at the moment.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

When they were working on Halo for pc they actually stated that they had to make the game hard for pc to keep the same relitive difficulty "due to the inherent strenght of pc controls in FPS" I'll admit something though, Console games absolutely kill PC games in the platforming section. Mario, and all that kind of game are basically console only...

oh, and with the RPGs, I was trying to say there are generally more action rpgs for PC andmore turn based for consoles. (the baulders gate series, diablo series, dungeon seige, neverwinter nights, etc for pc. Final Fantasys, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Lufia, etc for console)
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air...

yeah i wish that they would put more real-time RPG's on consoles, because i personally really dont like the turn-base style it really bothers me.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

I enjoy turn-based RPGs, but I find DII and KH and other realtime RPGs a great experience, as well. It's a bit more exhilirating and adds more of a skill requirement to the combat, though there are some complex turn-based combat systems out there.

Just Joined!
    Oooh PC Gaming vs. Console Gaming

Consoles are awesome because of the platformers, sports games, party games and some games that don't come out on PC. PC games are more customizeable and most games are easier and more fun to play with a keyboard and mouse. I have a gaming PC and an Xbox. For the Xbox I have Brute Force and Steel Battallion and many of you may ask, "Where's Halo?" Well I refuse to buy a game for a console that will come out on PC, which Halo will be doing soon. I did rent and beat Halo with a friend Co-op mode PC Gamer here, but consoles are fun as well

Linux Newbie
    To keep with the main flow of this ... PC games and Console games are both great, but there are many times when I sit back and wonder ... why did they ever make FF7 a PC game? I tried playing it ... and whoa boy was it annoying as hello! .
    Console games own such platforms as Real time RPG's .. ie Final Fantasy's, DragonWarriors, so on. they also own the market when it comes to sports games for the most part, racing games, action games and just about everything else. but wait kids ... theres more!!
    oh how i love my PC games though. especially .. *giggles like a school girl* Black & White. oh i am dying for the sequel to come out. anywho ... enough of my jibba jabba. PC games are best when they are strategy games, turn based RPG's, even some side scrolling ones, and puzzle games like Frozen Bubble. but hey .. thats my four cents on the subject. Imma high roller!
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.