Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
i downloaded cedega/p2p off torrentspy, im able to run cedega but not p2p, if you realy wana use cedega for free this is the best way, i still might be ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

i downloaded cedega/p2p off torrentspy, im able to run cedega but not p2p, if you realy wana use cedega for free this is the best way, i still might be able to get p2p working i need to mess around wit it sum more, it seems simple enough i havnt started messing around wit it, oh yes if your new to linux (like myself) it will be extreamly hard for you

Linux Newbie
    WineX=Cedega. They changed names.

I use cedega, but it only supports some games (out of 165 that are supposed to work well, I only want to play about 6 tho... and they don't necessarily work flawlessly...)- the most popular ones at that. Basically the guys at transgaming think "Hmmm, what's popular now? Ok, support it, and forget about the other stuff..."

So sometimes a game that runs on say cedega 4.3.1 will not run on cedega 4.3.2- it's very touchy.

Wine is the free thing, but it's designed more in mind for apps that don't need Direct X, so it's game support is touchy at best. And don't get me started on the installer support. Cedega is lightyears ahead of wine when it comes to running windows installers!!!

Or you can do what I do and every month or so go to every video game shop that sells used PC games and hope for a penguin to be among the other stuff...

If you do get cedega, the guys at transGaming just changed the way to pay for it, so read all the fine print... and DON'T bother with Point2Play. I think it absolutly sucks. Just run cedega from a console.

Hope this helps!

Yeah P2P sucks. A nice alternative - and it's FOSS - is Grapevine. Download it, it's cool. Don't forget, cedega has a free version too, but it's only source. Kinda like how you can actually get Red Hat but only in source. Probably cos it's mostly wine source, with some commercial content for running installshield and DirectX.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Yeah P2P sucks. A nice alternative - and it's FOSS - is Grapevine. Download it, it's cool. Don't forget, cedega has a free version too, but it's only source. Kinda like how you can actually get Red Hat but only in source. Probably cos it's mostly wine source, with some commercial content for running installshield and DirectX.
    True, but isn't the source an older version on top of that? I'm pretty sure the source guys are WAY behind compatability wise, I think they stopped it when they changed the name from Winex to Cedega.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_dressed_in_black
    wine will emualte some programs
    but it doesnt support direct X
    so not so good with games
    Oi! Wine does not emulate programs! In fact, Wine stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. Wine provides the libraries that Windows programs need to run natively on linux boxes, so there is no reason why games run under Wine should be any slower than games run under Windows. (Well, the Windows graphics drivers may be better tweaked, giving a Windows games a speed advantage, but office programs run at full speed under Wine.)

Wine does support DirectX - 'though not DirectX 9 yet - and even supports a limited subset of Direct 3D.
    For a complete list of features see
    http://www.winehq.com/site/wine_features

Wine is also completely free, and under continuing development, so the Wine gaming situation should only get better. Personally, I would rather give $60/year to the Wine developer group, and keep Wine free, than pay $60/year to use Cedega; but then I'm not a games junkie.

Linux Engineer
    some games that I play run faster under wine than on an xp system of the same specs, noticeably faster
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    probably cuz the winxp gui is a memory whore

Neb
    Just Joined!
    my avatar says it all

Linux User
    email me ill send u a rpm v. of cedega... (no this isnt illegal hes sharing my acount :P) my email is arctic9@sbcglobal.net NOT P2P

Just Joined!
    Gaming under Linux is a ***** but very feasible in some cases if you're prepared to take the time to break things, break more things, then ghetto rig them, then break them again, then completely render the system unusable about ten times thus resulting in a reinstall. :P

But after that it's all easy-sailing.

Games I've had running under Linux;

Quake 3
    Soldier of Fortune 2
    Hitman 3: Contracts (flawlessly, might I add)
    Postal 2 (you can actually find Linux ports of this and the first one)
    Doom 3
    Half Life 2 (it ran horribly, and was also the hardest game to get working)
    NeverWinter Nights
    Diablo 1 and 2

... Lots more.

If you're looking to play online, forget it. Any game that runs anti-cheat protection such as Punkbuster will freak out on you, as they don't like Linux. Furthermore, if you even get to the point of being able to load into a server, you're a god. I got Soldier of Fortune 2 and Quake 3 working breifly under Linux online. I did however get Diablo 1 working flawlessly over LAN.

PS: WINE = Wine is not an emulator. Wine is a direct layer on top of X which physically tries to run the Windows GDI APIs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast