Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having trouble getting my soundcard to work under slackware. any help would be great. The device seems to be installed and working, yet there is no sound. thnx ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound and Slackware

I am having trouble getting my soundcard to work under slackware. any help would be great. The device seems to be installed and working, yet there is no sound.

thnx
    ytinrete

Tech
    SB Live configured with emu10k driver
    Slackware 10
    kernel 2.4.26

lsmod output
    snd-emu10k1 62920 0
    snd-pcm 56072 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-emu10k1]
    snd-timer 13604 0 [snd-pcm]
    snd-hwdep 4804 0 [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-page-alloc 6328 0 [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm]
    snd-util-mem 1136 0 [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-ac97-codec 49500 0 [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-rawmidi 12740 0 [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-seq-device 3888 0 [snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]
    snd 30852 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hwdep snd-util-mem snd-ac97-codec snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
    soundcore 3396 6 [snd]
    emu10k1-gp 1352 0 (unused)

add snd-intel8x0m to the hotplug blacklist /etc/hotplug/blacklist and then run these commands in order as root
    Code:
    alsaconf
    alsamixer  # set your volumes to max and unmute them
    alsactl store
    that should do it

Did you unmute the volumes in the alsamixer ? To do that become root and run alsamixer and adjust the volumes. You can leave the program with the Esc key and save the volumes to default using alsactl store . I'm not sure if Slack loads the volumes at startup but if not add a line to your rc.local to do that:

/path/to/alsactl restore

That should unmute your sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin
    add snd-intel8x0m to the hotplug blacklist /etc/hotplug/blacklist and then run these commands in order as root
    Code:
    alsaconf
    alsamixer  # set your volumes to max and unmute them
    alsactl store
    that should do it
    Some remarks here, because some of your advice seems to be less relevant here.
    First of all the modules are loaded so there is no need to run alsaconf. Secondly I don't see the relevance of adding this module to the blacklist of hotplug if you don't have the device. However that is harmless.

The alsamixer part I agree .

Linux Engineer
    Well, not always... I used slackware 10.0 for a while, and my soundcard could be used at all before I found out I had to run alsaconf...

Just Joined!

thnx all

I have to tell you Its official I feel like a total noob.

unmuting the volumes did it.

of course I migrated to slackware after RH wouldnt run my cluster, and as everyone is probably aware it tends to do that stuff for you.

thnx again
    ytinrete

You have to run alsamixer probably after every alsa and or kernel update you install. Glad it works okay.

Let's explain some things about what I posted earlier.

alsaconf: detects the soundcard and load modules for it. Because the soundcard was already detected and loaded this step can be skipped. The already loaded modules will probably in the way and it may lead to confusion and errors. So that is why I advise against it in this specific case.

Blacklisting intel soundmodem module: this prevents hotplug from loading this module as your first soundcard. This card has no mixer so it will complicate sound configuration when loaded. But the hardware wasn't there and the module not loaded so there was no need to edit the blacklist.