Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been trying to get DVD's to work (under morphix) in mplayer. The error I am getting is 'can't open VMG info'. Now, a few things that are taken ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Strange DVD error

I have been trying to get DVD's to work (under morphix) in mplayer. The error I am getting is 'can't open VMG info'. Now, a few things that are taken care of:

-libdvdcss2 is installed (and is legal where I come from)
    -libdvdread3 is installed
    -dma is enabled
    -the path is correct (I had to create a sim link from /dev/hdc to /dev/dvd)

I googled a bit but did not find an answer to my problem. Any ideas? Oh, xine gives me the error: Read error from: /dev/dvd which I think is the same problem.

Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux User
    Have you already tried:

Code:
    hdparm -d 1 /dev/dvd
    ? Don't know if that will work for you, but it helped me with Ogle.

That turns on DMA. Which is already on. Thanks though.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You might try the mplayer manual which has a troubleshooting section - it may cover that error.

This is just my personal opinion, but I don't like mplayer. I prefer Xine - which has full menu support for dvds and runs like a dream. I could say more, but it would become a rant
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Checked the mplayer manual, nothing usefull, and Xine does not work either (it was the first player I used in linux to watch DVD's
    www.cloudyuseful.com

I'll tell you what I've found from my own experience - It might help.

Mplayer runs very well in a terminal - Often sluggishly with a graphical front-end. Even with dma switched on. Even after a lot of fiddling around. It's a good package but - it has IMHO limitations.

It (Mplayer) has decryption software included within itself and shouldn't need the packages you mention. I would check the accuracy of this, but it certainly used to be the case.

If you install libdvdcss2 and libdvdread3 and Xine doesn't work, it may be because Xine is looking for those libraries in another directory. My approach to solving this usually strikes horror into people ... I move the libraries into /usr/lib Better would be to make a symbolic link to other directories. If you install the above libraries from source, they end up in /usr/local/lib .... Xine won't like that.

Some of the above depends on how you installed. Don't be tempted to compile Xine from source :o You will grow old and retire before you manage this.

PS. Some dvds won't work under Linux - I have about 40 of them, and about 2 don't. The encryption is very good!

This might help you ... As I said, I've got Xine working.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

First of, this DVD has worked under linux before. Also, I tried another DVD and I got the same error (I'm thinking maybe the computer does not like 'Pulp fiction'). I will try making a sim link to /usr/lib. I installed everything with apt-get. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm not home now.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    (I'm thinking maybe the computer does not like 'Pulp fiction').
    He he ... You could be right. Yeah, let me know what happens - It's quite good when something works

hmmm... ok, I checked for the mentioned libraries, but libdvdread is already in /usr/lib and libdvdcss is nowhere to be found. Not in /usr/lib nor in /usr/local/lib. I just checked synaptic (apt-get frontend) and it shows libdvdcss installed... Also, if I try to install libdvdcss with apt-get (in the terminal) it also says that it is already installed.
    www.cloudyuseful.com

I'm not sure exactly how apt-get works (other than just general knowledge about it being a feature of Debian). I think you need to search like this:

Open a terminal;
    su
    yourpassword
    find / -name *libdvdcss* -print

This searches through your entire directory tree from root downwards, finds anything with the text string libdvdcss included, and prints it to standard output. If it's there, this will find it. If you find it, create a symbolic link from its location to /usr/lib

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast