Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking for a CD Boombox to play compressed music files on, and so far the most "open" file format I've found supported is MP3. If possible, I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone know of a CD Boombox that plays ogg files?

I'm looking for a CD Boombox to play compressed music files on, and so far the most "open" file format I've found supported is MP3. If possible, I'd like to support a vendor who makes a good open format capable boombox. Does anyone here know of one? Thanks!

Linux User
    i think mplayer plays ogg files
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/index.html
    also if u have wine u could run winamp (i think) which is a great media player
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

Most linux music players support Ogg(directly or with a plugin), but I think he is asking for a cdplayer that plays oggs (most diskmans nowadays play .mp3's). I'd recommend checking the internet sites of various electronics companies (Phillips, sony), you should find something.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Amarok, Juk, XMMS, they all support ogg. Which has better compression than mp3, better quality and has no licensing issues as far as I know (Fraunhofer?).
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Sounds like MP3 is my best bet here.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've looked around quite a bit, and didn't find one. I guess there isn't much demand for an OGG CD Boombox. I'll probably end up going with one of the Sony MP3 capable boxes, and hold my nose and boot into windows when I want to rip music.