Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've noticed there are quite a few topics like this about RPGs for linux on this forum already, but I figured I'd throw the question out one more time (with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

VGA type games

I've noticed there are quite a few topics like this about RPGs for linux on this forum already, but I figured I'd throw the question out one more time (with a different spin, of course) since I've already read them all as well as done a bit of searching on happypenguin and the Fedora RPM repositories, finding very little to satisfy me.

I've played a lot of the popular RPGs, such as nethack (and all its variants), I own NWN, and I have played some other stranger ones like Daimonin and Graal Online, but I'm looking for something a little different this time, and I was hoping I could rely on the collective experience of the forum to help me out.

Lately I've been feeling a little nostalgic; I grew up during the SNES era, and I really loved a lot of those console games that I used to play. I also had a lot of PC games for DOS and Windows that were on par. So, I have gotten to searching for any open source game projects that kind of recapture the way games used to be when I was younger, which basically had you simple, VGA style graphics (nothing too fancy).

Now, what I am mainly looking for is something RPG-like (like Final Fantasy, for example), but I'd really be happy with any sort of game, and I was wondering if you guys have run into some lesser known projects that I have yet to come across in my search.

I'm figuring that a lot of these projects are out there, but I'm having some trouble finding anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated, and I hope the topic isn't horribly redundant.

You've looked at Graal, but have you looked at Adonthell or Stendahl? Both of these were found by browsing The Linux Game Tome for RPG genre games.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    ultima online, is the best online rpg that I've experienced and I've played many of them. When emulated through wine, it runs faster than on a windows machine. the install file is free to download, and there are many free shards available to play on. www.metropolisshard.com is great game playing shard based on skill rather than items, and in their forums there are instructions on how to emulate the game through wine on nix systems
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You may have already played games like 'Beneath a Steel Sky' and 'Monkey Island' (I really like Steel Sky and play it again all the way through from time to time when it's raining ...) The SCUMM games engine will run under Linux.

Why not check it out? http://www.scummvm.org
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    You may have already played games like 'Beneath a Steel Sky' and 'Monkey Island' ...
    I've also enjoyed "Flight of the Amazon Queen", which comes with SuSE.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by fingal
    You may have already played games like 'Beneath a Steel Sky' and 'Monkey Island' ...
    I've also enjoyed "Flight of the Amazon Queen", which comes with SuSE.
    Hmm, thanks techieMoe - that looks really interesting. Never heard of it, but I know I'm gonna enjoy that one. The key element for me is humour. I remember playing 'Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards' and roaring with laughter ... Ahhhh, if only I could do that for the first time again
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Newbie
    I know about SCUMMVM; I used it to play a demo of The Dig, one of my old favorites. I have to say that I'm really impressed by the software...the game ran great.

In that vein, I was also quite a Sierra fan, and I've used some free implementations of AGI and SCI, but I was a little disappointed by freesci not supporting Trial by Fire, my favorite Quest for Glory.

Stendhal looks like something I would like...the Zelda-esque graphics really make me want to play it.