Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm interested in setting up a TiVo-like program under Linux (don't know what it is, but I've heard it exists). Has anyone had experience with this? Also, what is the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Compatible TV card?

I'm interested in setting up a TiVo-like program under Linux (don't know what it is, but I've heard it exists). Has anyone had experience with this? Also, what is the best supported video card?

Linux Guru
    This is what I have:

http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/...8/PVR-878.html

Search here for my username and PVR or tuner and you'll find several posts on this topic.

Really, any card that has an bttv 878 chipset should work out of the box on Linux.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

How can I find which chipset is used? Is that the chipset used in Hauppage cards?

Quote Originally Posted by groovygroundhog
    How can I find which chipset is used? Is that the chipset used in Hauppage cards?
    The bttv 878 chipset is commonly used in Hauppage cards - but beware! I bought one of those recently (a cheap one) and couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried.

I decided that the problem might be the tuner, which didn't seem to be supported. Some Hauppage cards use the Connexant chipset. IMHO the best bet (and this is just from reading other threads) would be to get a Pinnacle card. Support for that is built into some kernels.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Guru
    Yeah, Hauppage stopped using the bttv chipset about two years ago. If you can find a used one somewhere, pick it up. Otherwise, I'd stick with a know bttv vender, such as Kworld or Pinnacle.

If you're still in doubt, pick out a card and then google for the specific card model number followed by Linux.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude