Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was doing a little research on AACPLUS and MP3PRO because my two favorite webradio stations are using them ( Whole Wheat Radio and Secret Agent Radio ), and wondered ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Ogg Vorbis comparison please

I was doing a little research on AACPLUS and MP3PRO because my two favorite webradio stations are using them (Whole Wheat Radio and Secret Agent Radio), and wondered how they compare to Ogg Vorbis. Anyone know of any comparisons? Which are better for sound quality?

AACPLUS and MP3Pro seem like the hot thing as far as sound quality goes (noting I don't know where Ogg Vorbis compares), but few players seem to support at this point, much less ogg vorbis. So, How do these compare to each other, and why haven't most many major players started to support them?

I would start a campain to convice my favorite stations to support Ogg Vorbis if it compared or passed these two formats, otherwise I would try to find a player that supports these formats (or convince a player to support).
    Ack!

Linux Newbie
    Everything you posted seems to be a bit dated. For example they are now to realplayer 10 and not 8. But the big point is that I am refering to AACPLUS and not just AAC (older format). Preferably they would be compared analytically.
    Ack!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Also,I think ogg vorbis is slowly getting to be replaced with ogg flac, a lossless audio format: http://flac.sourceforge.net/features.html

Linux Newbie
    WOW! Ogg Flac looks interesting. I find it odd that they don't compare themselves to MP3 or the other standards I mentioned. It would be nice to have a comparison. True, it is the lossless route, but it would be interesting to see them take an audio CD and show file size for Flac, MP3, MP3PRO, and AACPLUS so we can compare. Then discuss how that relates to streaming (which Flac can do apparently).
    Ack!

Linux Guru
    Big Mike,

I found this link on google, but it's missing for some reason, so here's the cached page:

Cache

There's also an interesting discussion here, but more along the lines of above. Finally... If you're fluent in German, there's this page.

Hope that helps.

I rather enjoyed your webpage, BTW.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude