Find the answer to your Linux question:
Both are 128mb and both are 256 bit. Should I trade my ATI All in Wonder 9800 pro for a Leadtek 5900xt? As everyone knows ati makes crap linux drivers, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

ATI aiw radeon 9800 pro for Nvidia 5900xt?

Both are 128mb and both are 256 bit.

Should I trade my ATI All in Wonder 9800 pro for a Leadtek 5900xt? As everyone knows ati makes crap linux drivers, that's my motivation. Or should I sell it for 130 or something?
    You dont need a pocket protector or thick glasses to be a geek.

I would highly recommend trading up for an Nvidia, based on my personal experience with both companies and Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    i have one of both in my comp i have a radeon 9000 pro(128mb) and a nvida gforce3(128mb)... one is from my parents comp, i swiched it wit some old peice of **** ... dont tell them :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    But would the 5900xt in particular be a good trade for an all in wonder 9800pro? Someone told me to skip on that, sell this for 130 and then find a deal on a 6600 or 6600gt.

I'm in no rush, if I sell the 9800 pro I have another aiw (7500) that I could use while I look for a better nvidia card.

Quote Originally Posted by LBmtb
    But would the 5900xt in particular be a good trade for an all in wonder 9800pro? Someone told me to skip on that, sell this for 130 and then find a deal on a 6600 or 6600gt.

I'm in no rush, if I sell the 9800 pro I have another aiw (7500) that I could use while I look for a better nvidia card.
    If you have the option a 6600 or 6600GT would definitely be a better card. The 6600GT is the card I actually wish I'd have waited for; they perform on par or better than my regular 6800 and cost $100 less.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I've decided to hold off on the trade and put it on ebay. Saw a couple of cards with the accessories like mine going for $180+. Then I can use that money to get a 6600gt.

thanks to everyone who responded!

Just Joined!
    While in Windows those two cards are quite comparable, (ATI might even have a slight advantage with those two), in Linux the nvidia will be better, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlydave
    While in Windows those two cards are quite comparable, (ATI might even have a slight advantage with those two), in Linux the nvidia will be better, hands down.
    That has been my experience as well.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    ati beats nvidia hands down in windows (currently). the x850 owns every graphics card on the market (for windows) but atis lack of good linux drivers makes it a crapy linux graphics card for example their latest one it was released last week, supported 18 cards, i mean comon make individual ones

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    ati beats nvidia hands down in windows (currently). the x850 owns every graphics card on the market (for windows) but atis lack of good linux drivers makes it a crapy linux graphics card for example their latest one it was released last week, supported 18 cards, i mean comon make individual ones
    Which is why it's on ebay right now http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW