Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys. I am a proud newbie, got my first gentoo linux distro running (with lots of time and help from google), except for one thing... TV output. I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

watch movies with Linux on your TV while doing something else

Hi guys. I am a proud newbie, got my first gentoo linux distro running (with lots of time and help from google), except for one thing... TV output.

I would like to know how other users have configured their TV outs for watching movies. I know this topic has been partially touched in the past, but haven't found a good answer for it.

Problem: I wanna watch movies on my TV using the out from my Geforce card. Have Nvidia (with nvidia drivers and all) installed and running.

Options I've found from other people:
    1) Use xinearama mode, and set display on the right to output on TV. I don't like this option because if not using the TV out, your mouse can get lost on the TV out display. I don't wanna have this extra display there the whole time. I want my mouse pointer to not cross the PC monitor boundary.

2) Clone the monitor on the TV. I don't like this option 'cause you need to have your movie full screen on your monitor. In addition, I am not shure if having different resolutions on the monitor and TV allows you to clone.

3) Having two X-servers. This is OK, in the sense that your mouse doesn't get lost like in case (1) but you can only have one screen at the time (only CRT or TV, not both).

What I would like, is at least my old Windows solution. This was: pressing Ctr-Alt-something turns on the TV out, another combination turns it off. Then, I just open a window using powerDVD, zoomplayer, etc, and even if I have the video in a small windows in the monitor, it goes full screen on my TV out. This allows my roomate to watch a movie on my TV while I do something else.

Another good solution could be: having two Xsessions running. One of them would be only my PC, the other one in BOTH my PC *and* also cloned on the TV out. Then I would like to switch between the two easily. When using PC only session, the PC&TV-out session is not affected by keystrokes&mouse movements and viceversa.

It is sad to say, but so far the solution under Windows is the one that I like the most... how can I do something like this under linux? How do you guys watch video on your TVs? Thanks a lot!

Just Joined!
    After more than a day, it is sad to see no response This means that either no one has a good solution or no one wants to share it , or X, in combination with the linux video drivers don't allow this. It is sad to see a solution which is 10 years old in Windows still not available under linux.
    Someone cheer me up please!

As no-one else has replied, I'll offer you the little bit I think I know (which isn't much!) Maybe MythTV would be what you're looking for. I haven't used it, and apparently it's hard to install.
    http://www.mythtv.org

It looks like an exciting development though, and it might even be just what you want.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    After two days, no answers. Thanks Fingal for at least turning on some light in the end of the tunnel. OK, fine: there is no solution. I have to live with that.

But no one has answered my alternative question: how does everyone else watch DVDs? Does everyone have a stand-alone DVD player?
    Anyone knows if nvidia&ATI are planning to do something about this?

I find it very hard to believe that I'm the only one in this boat. Is there a completely different but better solution which I am overlooking? My experience is that this is usually the case with linux...

Just Joined!
    I would want this to.
    I have a 7" tft screen that connects to my tv-out.
    On my windows box i use it to play movies and have a diag panel on it.
    I want to do the same on my linux box.
    But stil don't seem to have a solution.

Seems a bit strange that linux does not support it.

You might want to check out this link http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out

I think if you were doing this it would be best to use an nvidia card
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso