Find the answer to your Linux question:
If you ever played MapleStory you know why we need to port it to linux! Being me, with my scant knowledge of C/C++, I prolly can't help... unless we use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Somebody port MapleStory to Linux!

If you ever played MapleStory you know why we need to port it to linux!

Being me, with my scant knowledge of C/C++, I prolly can't help... unless we use python. (Who's we? I dunno)

Somebody PORT IT!!

Linux User
    its quite a bit of work to port a game :-/

Just Joined!
    What's wrong with saying a simple "please" these days?

Peace,
    Rawlyn.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Judging from the screenshots I've seen the heads up display looks an awful lot like Neverwinter Nights. Maybe a coincidence. Either way, it's certainly a colorful game.

On topic, the game seems to make heavy use of DirectX, which would make a Linux port problematic. DirectX is a strictly MS Windows API.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    i really do not see why companies keep picking direct x, opengl is much nicer, it has many fetures that direct x doesnt have. dam microsoft...

Quote Originally Posted by a12ctic
    i really do not see why companies keep picking direct x, opengl is much nicer, it has many fetures that direct x doesnt have. dam microsoft...
    DirectX aside, is this game even an open-source project? It's hard to port something to which you don't have the source code.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Exclamation Source code is available for the server part but...

A lot of people who run private servers are being prosecuted by Nexon who pretty much got all of the code second hand from Wizet. Also those who host forums that discuss creating private servers are getting shut down by Nexon threatening to take legal action against the owners & maintainers.

Nexon started off by getting a license from Wizet who eventually just handed the whole thing over to Nexon America. After Nexon bought out Wizet probably from a hostile corporate takeover. I don't think there is any source available for the client itself. By the way they use Themida to obscure their code because they want to keep making profits. They think that piracy is a big problem that needs to be stamped out. Even though I have not seen patents or copyrights; I think they may have a legitimate claim. I do not like it but I can not change that. Also the game itself is free to play but they want to make a profit by selling special in game items purchased with NXcash which is basically real money spent on in game items. I really would love to create a truly free version of the client software & server software while porting it to Linux but do not have the experience or knowledge to do so. Also I think if directX could be replaced by OpenGL it would be great. I don't understand why anyone would make a game free to play but then throw in components that you have to pay for to make a profit.

I think the problem is they spend so much money on trying to stop piracy from happening & on all of the other costs that they essentially are losing money. This could be causing them to believe that if they do not take action they will go bankrupt. To be honest I just want to learn how this game operates because I would like to see a 3-D version for Xbox360, Ps3, and the Wii. If I have to purchase the rights to do so I think it would be worth it if the company was willing to sell me the rights to do so.