Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, i d/l ed the linux client and binaries from bioware. i followed all the instructions for installing it but it won't run. instead, when i try and run it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NWN

ok, i d/l ed the linux client and binaries from bioware. i followed all the instructions for installing it but it won't run.
    instead, when i try and run it from the console this comes up:

Code:
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    the screen flashes black and then this comes up underneath:

Code:
    Failed to initialize graphics.
    i can't understand what's wrong with the graphics. i run SuSE 9.2 downloaded from the FTP site in SuSE Help. i have used YOU to update the Nvidia Drivers and the Kernel. what do i need to do? if i have to reinstall the nvidia drivers manually how do i quit X? i use ctrl+alt+F2 to bring up bash but that doesn't seem to exit X. help me please. i don't want to have to revert to winwoes to play games! thank you in advance.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Are you trying to run the game as root? SuSE enables access control for X by default, so you either have to use sux- (instead of su) or enter xhost+ as a normal user to allow root to run graphical programs (don't forget to run xhost- when you're done to re-enable access control).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

nope, neither of those worked. when running as root with sux i just get the
    Code:
    Failed to initialize graphics.
    message by itself.
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

What happens when you
    Code:
    su john
    [password]
    command to start NWN
    (replace john with your username)
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Why are you trying to run the client as root?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

it doesn't work when i don't run it as root either, i've already tried. in fact i don't think it will let me.
    Code:
    Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
    that's what comes up when i try and run it as a user.

From this thread you might want to cd into the directory the NWN excutable is (the file you run to start it) and run
    Code:
    ./executable
    (replacing executable with the executable file name).
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

AAAAHHHH...that error message is much more helpful. I ran into that myself. Run the nwn executable from within the install's directory
    Code:
    cd <install directory>
    Code:
    ./nwn
    and it should go away. A simple bash script to cd into that directory and then run the executable would keep you from having to do that manually every time you start the game; that's what I did at the time.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

ok, i fixed the problem but it is running far too slow. it's at a level where it is completely unplayable even with all the options turned down. is there any way to speed it up or is this as fast as it gets. i really hope it isn't but i may have to abandon all hope.

What are your system's specs? NWN is one of the most resource-hungry games I've ever seen.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast