Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
alright, also, of the games mentioned here, which ones can be played using the MS metail cds? for example, I can pick up unreal tournament 2004 for $10 off amazon, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

alright, also, of the games mentioned here, which ones can be played using the MS metail cds?
    for example, I can pick up unreal tournament 2004 for $10 off amazon, but to buy it from tuxgames.com is something like $40.

Also, if I buy NWN Platinum, which includes all the expansion packs, can I still use it to downloa dhte linux client?

And Descent 3, which I had for windows ages ago is available fo rlinux, can I use my current cds, or do I have to shell out $20 on amazon?

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    alright, also, of the games mentioned here, which ones can be played using the MS metail cds?
    I assume you mean the MS Windows retail CDs, since no games (AFAIK) that have native Linux versions were made or published by Microsoft. Doom 3 has a Linux client that you install using the retail CD, as does NWN. Quake 3 has a native Linux CD but you can also install it using the Win32 CD and a Linux point release (just copy the .pk3 files). Same goes for Doom 1 and 2, and Quake 1 and 2.

for example, I can pick up unreal tournament 2004 for $10 off amazon, but to buy it from tuxgames.com is something like $40.
    Unreal Tournament 2003 and 2004 have the Linux client on the actual retail CD. It's on disc 3 of UT2003 and disc 1 of UT2004.

Also, if I buy NWN Platinum, which includes all the expansion packs, can I still use it to downloa dhte linux client?
    Yes. In fact, there's a pretty little installer here that will let you bypass downloading the 1GB client file from Bioware.

And Descent 3, which I had for windows ages ago is available fo rlinux, can I use my current cds, or do I have to shell out $20 on amazon?
    No, that one was published separately for Linux by Loki Games. You might still be able to find it at places like Linux Mall or Linux Central, or even on the bargain rack at places that actually sell Linux software, such as a Micro Center.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    thank you very much!

yeah, I found descent 3 for linux for $20 on amazon, just wanted to see if I could bypass paying for it.

Tux Racer is a good one..... ok really thought the only games i know of that you can play on linux are Tribes, Quake I; II; III, Unreal Tourney, DOOM 3. You can get DOSBOX or any other dos emulator and play some olden day doom if you want also.

Quote Originally Posted by flipjargendy
    You can get DOSBOX or any other dos emulator and play some olden day doom if you want also.
    Actually, emulation isn't necessary for the original Doom and Doom 2. There are native ports that give you real OpenGL 3D support and higher resolutions. My favorite is Doom Legacy.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    No, that one was published separately for Linux by Loki Games. You might still be able to find it at places like Linux Mall or Linux Central, or even on the bargain rack at places that actually sell Linux software, such as a Micro Center.
    Pshhh... last time I bought a "linux" game from micro center (after the sales person assured me that everything on that 1/16th of a shelf they set aside for linux was for linux) the damn thing turned out to be a Mac game... Fortunatly I'm getting an IBook for college...

As for NWN Platinum, there is NO linux installer IN THE BOX. You have to download it from the bioware site (nwn.bioware.com) in order to install it properly. Check the linux NWN forums at bioware, they have special instructions for platinum install posted there for both the DVD and CD versions of the game.

And sadly I've tried the Descent 3 thing already... had the game on my old windows pc (which has since (literally) fried) and it does not have a linux port with the windoze version... it was one of those loki games.

Quote Originally Posted by afroguy013
    Pshhh... last time I bought a "linux" game from micro center (after the sales person assured me that everything on that 1/16th of a shelf they set aside for linux was for linux) the damn thing turned out to be a Mac game... Fortunatly I'm getting an IBook for college...
    What made you think it was for Linux? The only commercial games that have come out for Linux (aside from the Unreal Tournament series) were made by Loki Games.

As for NWN Platinum, there is NO linux installer IN THE BOX. You have to download it from the bioware site (nwn.bioware.com) in order to install it properly. Check the linux NWN forums at bioware, they have special instructions for platinum install posted there for both the DVD and CD versions of the game.
    Did I say there was an installer in the box? The only Linux games out there today that have installers on the retail CDs are UT2003/2004. The rest require you to download a separate Linux client, as you said.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Another game with a Linux installer on the CD is "Savage", the demo of which was the first ever game I played on Linux back on SuSE 8.2, it ran beautifully.
    The biggest security threat is the user.

I think Glest is a promising game. It's been getting good reviews in a couple of magazines I've read http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uxsm/glest/
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    even Tux racer?
    I'd say especially Tux racer

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast