Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity There's nothing wrong with using the OS that fits your needs... I still don't understand why people play games on windows anyway. Why not just xbox ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    There's nothing wrong with using the OS that fits your needs...
    I still don't understand why people play games on windows anyway. Why not just xbox or playstation? That's what they are designed specifically to do. I think the "game thing" being a reason to stay with windows is weak but that's just my 2 cents.
    There are many reasons in favor and against console gaming. The main point FOR console gaming, as you stated, is that consoles are designed for that purpose. Consoles don't require you to upgrade your hardware and every game you buy for that console will play exactly as intended without modification and you'll end up spending less money overall in the long run for your gaming.

The flip side to this is that console games (in the current market) are static. You cannot mod them, you cannot tweak graphics settings or upgrade your hardware to make it run better, and some games just don't work on consoles, such as first-person shooters, IMO, or the RTS games mentioned by borromini. You also cannot play old games on new systems (with the notable exception of the Playstation/PS2 and Game Boy/GBC/GBA/DS), so if you have a favorite game you must either hold on to the aging system or buy it AGAIN on the new one *if* they make a new version.

Although I respect your opinion, I do not share it. If an OS does what you want it to do (in this case play lots of commercial games out of the box), then that is a damn good reason to use it, in my opinion.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hmm I had about 10 paragraphs arguing my reasoning behind this but I feel I should just take the time to explain some more first.

Yes there are other free game engines but has anyone really found one that does enough to be considered top notch? Darkplaces is what an overhaul of the quake 2 source that id released and the only game I have seen that was released wasn't exactly a bombshell. It ran like a quake two total conversion and the only real improvement was that the controls worked under xp (where as when I try and run quake 2 there is an issue with controls lagging).

Now when I say definite engine I am refering to the likes of the old hl engine (based off quake 2 however if you compare the number of expansions and mods released for this the numbers are staggering), quake 3 engine which ran anything from medal of honor to American Mcgee's Alice, Unreal Engine, and now the Source and Doom 3 engines respectively. I am not saying to make a game but rather giving Linux gammers something that can be truely worked with to produce multiple games the way the retail world has.

Yes I do belive you can make some money of free games anyone looked at anarchy online? Or how about gunbound? No it would not offset the cost of creating such a game however it might be able to pay for the games website or perhaps central server. Sadly you could not use the GPL license because the fact that if say a specific game released its source it would be a hackers paradise...

I am not going to argue over consoles because anyone who has played both for any extent of times realizes the different experience each provides. As to why I shouldn't just be advocating windows for using games I ask you this why should I? Many use Linux because they see that it has inherent advantadges to both Apple and Microsoft's offerings. Hell Valve's steam may not run under linux yet they still release the software to run a server on it. Microsot itself has used linux to run msn's servers since they bought the company who originaly held the technology for msn. It may not be proof that Linux is superior in the gamming realm but it should be proof enough that there is ample reason to the madness I am spouting.

Linux Newbie
    I rarely play games on the computer (thats what a playstation or a gamecube is for).
    In my view I don't think linux should be advertized for gaming. My favorite Parts about linux is that it's affordable, it's very easy to use, it's a great learning experience, and most important: SPEED.
    I have two computers running Mandrake 10.1 and they run faster than they ever did with winblows (and no crashes, blue screens of death, etc.) One is a Compaq Presario (I'm using it right now) with a cyrix processor that clocks at 250mhz and has 96mb of ram and I've got my toshiba portege that has a pentium 2 processor that clocks at 300mhz with 128mb of ram. Both computers are used more often (by me) than my 2.7ghz with 768mb of ram winblows xp machine. (my parents are afraid of linux, Ignorance is not bliss)
    And thats my 2 cents,
    -->Nikosapi

Just Joined!
    why shouldn't linux be used for gamming? Doom 3 and Unreal 2k3 and 4 prove it can be viable so why not?

Linux Newbie
    Ohh, I don't think it shouldn't, I just never play computer games and whenever I do they don't compare to console games. I guess that's probably because I don't have a good gaming computer...
    -->Nikosapi

Just Joined!
    that might be true but also do you play console games with friends? Consoles in many ways are more social because you tend to play more with people in the same room then online (although that is changing)

Quote Originally Posted by YenningComity
    why shouldn't linux be used for gamming? Doom 3 and Unreal 2k3 and 4 prove it can be viable so why not?
    We're not the ones you need to be convincing. I use Linux for gaming all the time, but until the major developers decide it's a viable market (and by that I mean PROFITABLE, not just that they're able to do it), Linux is not going to be as popular for games as MS Windows.

Does this mean Linux shouldn't be used for games? Of course not. Does this mean that all major game developers will magically start porting to Linux? I don't think that's the case either.

If you want to put together a completely ground-up OSS gaming engine, like Nexiuz or any of the number of OSS RPG engines you can find on The Linux Game Tome, more power to you. I guess I just don't understand your argument.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I used to play on the PS2 quite a bit but that is now afew years back, I just don't enjoy using consoles, I love the fact a computer is an all-in-one box, I want to play a game I can, I want to browse Linux forums, I can.

I would like to get away from a dual boot as I find frustrating to have to switch right over, then if I want to do anything again I would have to restart. This seems no different from moving to a console to play a game, I would like it all there, on demand. I stopped using Windows for a reason, I would like to play my games on Linux so that is why I am interested in Transgamer's Point2Play software and for only 3 per month, I think that is excellent value for full Linux migration.

Also a quick query: Where does OpenGL fit into the previosly mentioned points? On a number of games you are given the choice between DirectX and OpenGL. I was always choosing OpenGL even before I used Linux, it somehow seemed better
    The biggest security threat is the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon
    Also a quick query: Where does OpenGL fit into the previosly mentioned points? On a number of games you are given the choice between DirectX and OpenGL. I was always choosing OpenGL even before I used Linux, it somehow seemed better
    OpenGL works in Linux, whereas DirectX does not, without some sort of go-between software (like Cedega). That's the main difference. You'll notice that most of the games that have Linux ports (for instance the Id Software games) are using the OpenGL libraries rather than DirectX. Personally, were I a game developer, I would use OpenGL since it doesn't tie me down to one specific operating system. But that's just me.

As far as performance differences go, I really don't pay attention to things like that. I would imagine DirectX runs better than OpenGL on MS Windows just because it's made by Microsoft and they probably are able to tweak it more since they know the underlying OS code better. But it's just a theory.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2