Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, I have a couple movies on my pc witch mandrake 10.1 and I want to watch them using kaffeine (or maybe something else). The problem is that this computer's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I want to watch movies!!!

hey, I have a couple movies on my pc witch mandrake 10.1 and I want to watch them using kaffeine (or maybe something else). The problem is that this computer's motherboard is cheap and it uses some crappy sound card that linux doesn't recognize. I don't have a problem with not having sound as I just want to preview the videos. When I open a video an error message pops up and says "all audio drives failed to initialize" and then kaffeine closes. is there a way to play videos without a sound card?
    -->Nikosapi

Linux User
    Never used that application, dislike KDE. But mplayer should play them.

And what sound card you got?

Linux Newbie
    Alright, I'll try mplayer (hope it works as well on linux as it does in windows).
    The soundcard is intergrated onto the motherboard. (It's a piece of junk) off of the compaq website I aparently have a: ESS 1869 audio controller (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c00013756)
    If you think there's a driver for it that'd be great but if not i'll probably just pick up a creative labs sound card at my local computer store.
    -->Nikosapi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I installed mplayer and it works great!
    Thanx,
    -->Nikosapi