Find the answer to your Linux question:
Good? Bad? Ugly? I'm thinking of doing some upgrades to my "aging" (well, over 1 year...) system including getting a sound card that will give my 5.1 speakers full capability ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

creative labs

Good? Bad? Ugly?

I'm thinking of doing some upgrades to my "aging" (well, over 1 year...) system including getting a sound card that will give my 5.1 speakers full capability (instead of the 2.1 stuff I'm running them on now) and I know that CL is supposed to work well in linux.

So I'm just asking for a few user opinions on how your CL card works, and how well the company supports linux.

For the record, I've got Mandrake 10.1, and I'm looking at the Creative Labs Live! 24-bit card if that helps.

Thanks for any (and all) comments!

Creative Labs

Hi - I've been using an old creative labs card (SoundBlaster Live maybe 5 years old) and have tried it with maybe 20 distros - Most worked with no setup, and the ones that didn't (working on Kubuntu right now) just seem to need a driver installed. I havn't completely worked out the fixes enough to write them up yet - usually busy trying to get other things to work.

Have fun ...

PS - winder why the dearth of answres here - must be pleanty of SB folks out there.??
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Re: creative labs

Quote Originally Posted by afroguy013
    Good? Bad? Ugly?

I'm thinking of doing some upgrades to my "aging" (well, over 1 year...) system including getting a sound card that will give my 5.1 speakers full capability (instead of the 2.1 stuff I'm running them on now) and I know that CL is supposed to work well in linux.

So I'm just asking for a few user opinions on how your CL card works, and how well the company supports linux.

For the record, I've got Mandrake 10.1, and I'm looking at the Creative Labs Live! 24-bit card if that helps.

Thanks for any (and all) comments!
    I have the general SB Live! sound card that came with my Dell. Works fine on Suse 9.2 Pro, just a little jiggering around to get sound. I haven't figured out Midi yet though..
    You may want to checkout http://www1.mandrivalinux.com/en-us/ On the left hand side of the screen under "Products" is a link for "Hardware Support" which enables you to check various setups, soundcards, video cards etc.