Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi i'm trying to install QuakeIII on my new Ubuntu system, but I can't find the installation files for quakeII. I had a PC with gentoo on and QuakeIII worked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

installing QuakeIII in Ubuntu

Hi

i'm trying to install QuakeIII on my new Ubuntu system, but I can't find the installation files for quakeII. I had a PC with gentoo on and QuakeIII worked great simply by doing: emerge quakeIII. Is there a software package for debian, so that I can use apt-get "quake3"?

You can install Quake 3 manually by installing the Quake 3 Point Release from Id Software here or just doing a search.

You'll then want to copy the .PK3 files from your Quake 3 CDROM into the base directory of your quake3 folder.

You'll also need to make sure you have hardware-accelerated 3D drivers installed for your video card.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    okay i now have the point release, and this might be a stupid question.
    the point release have a file extension .run and i don't seem to be able to execute the file. How can i install the file. I'm looking foreword to be a super linux user one day

Quote Originally Posted by DarknezzDELL
    okay i now have the point release, and this might be a stupid question.
    the point release have a file extension .run and i don't seem to be able to execute the file. How can i install the file. I'm looking foreword to be a super linux user one day
    You can execute a .run file from a console window using the command:
    Code:
    sh someRunFile.run
    Obviously you'll want to replace "someRunFile" with the actual name of your Quake 3 Point Release. That still might not work if the file itself isn't marked as executable. You can do that with the "Change mode" or chmod command:
    Code:
    chmod +x someRunFile.run
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

quake2

always liked q2 ctf more. got it running and I'm soooooo pleased.