Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    yup, i can run chromium fine. and neverwinter nights runs well on good draphical detail.
    That leads me to believe the problem is with the demo itself rather than your system configuration. I really don't know what to tell you other than perhaps try re-downloading and reinstalling the demo...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

woo! i got it working but the speed is BAD. i put it on minimal settings at 1280x1024 (my standard screen res) and it runs slowly.
    i might need to get a better gfx card.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

woo! i got it working but the speed is BAD. i put it on minimal settings at 1280x1024 (my standard screen res) and it runs slowly.
    Yeah, it's a system resource hog. Some things you might try (note these will probably make it look like crap, but it will run faster):

a)Reduce your resolution to something like 1024x768
    b)Go to "advanced settings" and turn off bump mapping, AA, VSync, and Specular mapping.

I'd try making the screen smaller first. I'm only able to run Doom 3 at 1280x1024 with a massive card (my 6800).
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Yeah, it's a system resource hog. Some things you might try (note these will probably make it look like crap, but it will run faster):

a)Reduce your resolution to something like 1024x768
    b)Go to "advanced settings" and turn off bump mapping, AA, VSync, and Specular mapping.

I'd try making the screen smaller first. I'm only able to run Doom 3 at 1280x1024 with a massive card (my 6800).
    wow! a 6800 to run it at 1280x1024
    i need to get me one of those!
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    wow! a 6800 to run it at 1280x1024
    i need to get me one of those!
    I'm not saying it's a neccessity for 1280x1024, but it sure does help. The 6800s are going to be going down in price soon since the 7800 line just got released. I'd actually recommend a 6600GT over a plain 6800, but if you want to go all out (and pay a premium for it) the 6800GT or 6800 Ultra are monsters.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

well, i'm getting myself a part time job for the summer soon so i'll use the money from that to get one. do they come in AGP flavour?

they are native agp, so they will be in the neiborhood of 275-300$ US. i would recomend the 6800 over 6600gt for agp since its native for that interface and not that much more expensive. it also depends on how old and stuff your computer is. it might help us to know proc speeds (and type) and amount of memory. if its too old and crappy than forget it, since you will end up not using all the power the 6800 has to offer, now thats just a waist of money, dont you think.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

well, i use an AMD sempron 2400+ (please don't laugh). i'll wait for the price to come down before i buy one.

well, i use an AMD sempron 2400+ (please don't laugh). i'll wait for the price to come down before i buy one.
    Is that a Socket A Sempron or a Socket 754 Sempron?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814122195275$ Geforce 6800GT, my friend ordered it and it runs real nice, one downfall, very big, should run any game you want on top specs prety well.