Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to my games on linux! I know I sound like a n00b but hang in with me. I want to be able to play these games: Halo UT2004(demo) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A few games i would like to play on any distro

I want to my games on linux! I know I sound like a n00b but hang in with me. I want to be able to play these games:

Halo
    UT2004(demo)
    Counter Strike: Source
    Half-Life 2
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    Battle Field Vietnam
    and Half-Life 2 deathmatch

I have an asus a7v8x-x mobo Ati RADEON 9600 video card and a pci Ati Rage 128, Soundmax sound, and a Cheap Cd burner

I will also need a guide for installing the 3d grahics driver for my games

Oh and one more thing, I have 3 screens running and will still like to be able to do that 2 crts on my 9600 1 crt on my pci Ati Rage 128

For your games, I don't think they will run nativly in Linux, you will have to check something like Cadega. Also FYI the 3D drivers from ATI for linux are rather bad, the nvidia ones are better.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Re: A few games i would like to play on any distro

Quote Originally Posted by Halo Hacker
    I want to my games on linux! I know I sound like a n00b but hang in with me. I want to be able to play these games:

UT2004
    With this one, you're in luck. There's a Linux installer on the first CD.

I have an asus a7v8x-x mobo Ati RADEON 9600 video card and a pci Ati Rage 128, Soundmax sound, and a Cheap Cd burner

Unfortunately, this will probably be your biggest hurdle. ATI's Linux drivers are notoriously difficult to install and get working. I've only heard of a few people getting them going successfully. I have *heard* that SuSE offers an easy-install version of the ATI 3D drivers via YaST, though. You might consider giving those a shot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe

UT2004
    With this one, you're in luck. There's a Linux installer on the first CD.

Unfortunately, this will probably be your biggest hurdle. ATI's Linux drivers are notoriously difficult to install and get working. I've only heard of a few people getting them going successfully. I have *heard* that SuSE offers an easy-install version of the ATI 3D drivers via YaST, though. You might consider giving those a shot.

Well the prob is that i forgot to mention all i have is the demo of ut 2004 and that i'm such a linux noob that I dont know if I could install those drivers.

Is suse beginner friendly?

Well the prob is that i forgot to mention all i have is the demo of ut 2004 and that i'm such a linux noob that I dont know if I could install those drivers.
    There's a Linux demo of UT2004 as well, downloadable here:
    http://www.unrealtournament.com/utgoty/downloads.php

Is suse beginner friendly?
    I would say it depends on the beginner. It's relatively automated and doesn't really require a great deal of technical know-how to get installed as long as you use the defaults. Whichever distribution you choose, you can always drop in here and ask questions when you get stuck.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    ok
    i'm gonna go ahead and download that distro and I know you mean well be that ut demo is from 1999 so its not 2004

Linux User

Halo (made my microsoft most likly wont)
    UT2004(demo) will work
    Counter Strike: Source (wont work without cedega)
    Half-Life 2 (wont work without cedega)
    Sid Meier's Pirates! (i dono check ... www.winehq.com)
    Battle Field Vietnam (works prety simlpe...at least from what ive heard)

Oh and one more thing, I have 3 screens running and will still like to be able to do that 2 crts on my 9600 1 crt on my pci Ati Rage 128
    ur ati card will not work, u can get a nvidia 6600, about the same card for... 100-150$

Just Joined!
    I can't just go out and get a new card I gotta make this one work I'm sure there is a way to make it work.

ok
    i'm gonna go ahead and download that distro and I know you mean well be that ut demo is from 1999 so its not 2004
    Sorry, right site, wrong link:
    http://www.unrealtournament.com/ut2004/downloads.php
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

i was trying to get ATI to work so i could play the linux binary of UT2004 but never got it working. for one thing the ATI documentation is primarily geared toward Red Hat. i plan on first chance i get to find a Nvidia card i have put gaming on linux on a backburner. right now i dual boot XP Pro with Slackware.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast