Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all... I'm running Mepis3.1.1 and am having a problem with choppy video in Xine and Kaffiene. The strange thing is that Ogle plays just fine. I've issued the command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hdparm question

Hi all...

I'm running Mepis3.1.1 and am having a problem with choppy video in Xine and Kaffiene. The strange thing is that Ogle plays just fine.

I've issued the command 'hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc' and have confirmed that the dma is on, but no luck. I would prefer to use Xine over Ogle as Ogle seems to have some limitations.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Linux Engineer
    I think setting some filters could help (using the right decoder options, deinterlacing options and stuff)?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Hi borromini. Thanks for replying so fast!

I've looked through all the options in Xine and Kaffiene and can't find what the problem is. On my other distro those apps work flawlessly. Very strange.

I'm going to keep trying to hunt this down.

Linux Engineer
    I'm using Minislack, with Gxine, the Gnome frontend for Xine. First dvd's didn't display correctly, but after changing some parameters (dma was already enabled by default, just like in your situation), it worked fine. I suggest you do some googling on tuning the apps you're having problems with.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **