Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
when i reinstalled windows 2000 it did nothing to GRUB. don't reformat, just reinstall. ie, select the windows partition to install to and then select repair, or just install if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

when i reinstalled windows 2000 it did nothing to GRUB. don't reformat, just reinstall. ie, select the windows partition to install to and then select repair, or just install if it is there. that'll stop GRUB being overwritten
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!

UT2004 no go

I have sort of the same problem - I just did an os update (FC4) and a UT2004 update (to patch 3355), and when I run UT, I get the same error msg.

Had a quick look in the /usr/lib dir, and found that I don't have a libstdc++.so.5, but I do have libstdc++.so.6, which links to libstdc++.so.6.0.5.
    Thing is, UT used to work before the update. Although it did crash a round and a half in while playing. (which is why I decided to do the update in the first place)
    Can I create a symlink to link 5 to 6?

My machine also runs dual boot XP/FC4.

Just Joined!

WORKING AGAIN!!!

From what I found with Google, it looks like a dependancy thing.
    Install the following package:

compat-libstdc++-3

Now I need to test if it still crashes out on me. However, a fragging a will go! w00t :)
    And no, the symlink thing doesn't work.

Re: WORKING AGAIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by f1r3f0g
    From what I found with Google, it looks like a dependancy thing.
    Install the following package:

compat-libstdc++-3

Now I need to test if it still crashes out on me. However, a fragging a will go! w00t
    And no, the symlink thing doesn't work.
    You might also make sure your version of UT2004 is up to date. There have been patches since the retail box shipped. Some useful Linux installers for UT (and other games) can be found at Loki Installers for Linux Gamers, here:

http://www.liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=17
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2