Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently dual-booted my system with XP and FC4. I wanted to install and run UT2004 in FC4. When I inserted the DVD disc into my laptop, Linux recognized it, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unreal Tournament 2004

I recently dual-booted my system with XP and FC4. I wanted to install and run UT2004 in FC4. When I inserted the DVD disc into my laptop, Linux recognized it, and ran it just fine and I was able to install it. However, when I go to try and run the game, nothing happens. I go to applications and click on UT2004 and hit RUN, but nothing happens. No errors, the game doesnt load (obviously), nothing. What can I do? Thanks in advance.

I also have another question. Right now my system boots into FC4 by default. If I want to boot into XP, I have to hit a key during boot-up and then select "Other". If I have to reinstall XP, will the XP installer set the default OS as itself, or will the FC4 boot loader settings remain intact? Thanks again.

EDIT
    Added another question.

Linux Newbie
    run ut2k4 from the console. the command (once your in the dir) is ./unrealtournment (or something simalar)

that should show any error messages

what boot loader are you useing grub or lilo?

if its grub you'll be looking for a file something like this one (maybe not exactly in the same spot)

/boot/grub/menu.1st

in mine is has the line
    Code:
    default 0
    which makes is boot to the first choice (linux) change it to what ever choice windows is and your good to go

Just Joined!
    Ok, when I run UT2004 in terminal, this is what I get:

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/local/games/ut2004/ut2004
    ./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]#

What does that mean exactly?

And as for what boot loader I am running, it is GRUB. I do not want the system to boot into XP by default. I want FC4 to boot by default. But what I am worried about is that if I reinstall XP, XP will change that and make itself the default OS. Then I may not be able to boot into FC4 at all. So... Thank you again for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    And as for what boot loader I am running, it is GRUB. I do not want the system to boot into XP by default. I want FC4 to boot by default. But what I am worried about is that if I reinstall XP, XP will change that and make itself the default OS. Then I may not be able to boot into FC4 at all. So... Thank you again for your help.
    i have a similar set up to you, win XP and FC2, i found that when i re-installed XP that it wiped over the MBR and completly ignored linux, there is a guide in the tutorial section on setting up the windows boot loader for duel booting, i found this was the only way to stop windows hideing linux from me!!

**Make sure you make a Boot disk for linux b4 u re-install windows tho or you wont be able to get back into linux to get some info needed to set up the windows boot loader**

Just Joined!
    So if I have to re-install XP, then maybe I will just re-install FC4. Heh heh heh. Still need help on my UT problem though.

Just Joined!
    yeah thats what i did first couple of times around, then when i started saving data and stuff in my linux partition i didnt wanna wipe it all the time.

i cant help with UT04 as that is currently running under windows on my system (and i will kill anyone who challanges me to an onslaught), i might have a bash and see if i can get it running on linux later tho

Just Joined!
    I installed Fedora 4 after XP was installed. The installation recognized the XP disk and setup grub automaticlly. It was there on the first boot, only thing I changed was the timer.

Dave

Just Joined!
    Ok, when I run UT2004 in terminal, this is what I get:

[root@localhost ~]# /usr/local/games/ut2004/ut2004
    ./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost ~]#

What does that mean exactly?

Linux Newbie
    I am thinking that it is a dependancy. as in you need libstdc++.so.5

but here let me break that down lib= library std = standard c++ = langauge .so.5 = giberish

so look through your install options for a c++ library rpm and install it. I think that should do it.

Linux Engineer
    You could use something like System Rescue CD to reinstall GRUB after XP wipes the MBR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast