Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. I have realplayer installed but when I watch something the audio is normal but the video stutters and pauses every few seconds. The weird thing is that if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with RealPlayer

Hi. I have realplayer installed but when I watch something the audio is normal but the video stutters and pauses every few seconds. The weird thing is that if I have XMMS running before I open Realplayer the video plays fine with Realplayer, but no sound comes out.

Is this a problem with my audio? My soundcard or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

I'm not sure about the video side, though I "suffer" the same. Never really cared enough about RealPlayer to fix it. It's actually to do with lag on the sound server, if you are using aRts go to Kcontrol and set the aRts idle time to 1 second. xmms is most likely hogging the sound while it is open. Multithreading sound in linux isn't great, so most apps are programmed not to hog. Gstreamer will most likely be our saviour here....

Go Gstreamer!

Just Joined!
    So is there anything I can do with KDE to play realplayer files normally? Gstreamer is for Gnome only isn't it?

all the programs can run in either KDE or GNOME. it doesn't matter which on you are using since you can switch between them. that's the beauty of linux
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I think Kaffeine will handle Real media for you. If I remember it was one of the questions asked in first run.

but Kaffiene 0.6 is Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery buggy unfortunately...
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    Well I only have KDE on my distro (Xandros).

Just Joined!
    Could the choppiness of realplayer be related to the fact that I haven't been able to get the real nvidia driver installed for my vidcard?

Could well be, for buffering the video. What trouble have you had?

Just Joined!
    Well, I use SimplyMEPIS 3.3.1 and it has an option to use the official nvidia driver, but whenever I try to use it my screen just goes blank and I have to reinstall X and use the default "nv" driver.

By the way I have an XFX Geforce 6600GT PCIe card. Oh yeah, and kernel 2.6.11.6

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast