Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i'm running the same card but the effect isn't that bad (then again i don't have a framerate counter showing). i think everyone gets the slowdown. you can check the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

i'm running the same card but the effect isn't that bad (then again i don't have a framerate counter showing). i think everyone gets the slowdown. you can check the card, make sure that it is working properly like others have suggested. try glxgears and see what the framerate is from there.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

ah, that's just clicked....

i am also having problems with apps crashing when i try and start em. One of the apps is glxgears i think there's a problem with my driver somewhere. once that's sorted, i'll take a look.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    how much ram you got, is there processes running in the backroundd?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    he's having problems with his drivers and linux doesn't take up enough processor time and memory with daemons to slow anything down.

sdousley, i'd recommend you get two Geforce 6800 SLi cards to max out performance.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    he's having problems with his drivers and linux doesn't take up enough processor time and memory with daemons to slow anything down.

sdousley, i'd recommend you get two Geforce 6800 SLi cards to max out performance.
    I might have thought about getting a slightly better card had i been able to afford it when i got this one!

Next 2 things to buy for me will be:
    • more ram (i only have 256MB, shocking i know!)
    • graphics card.

Linux Newbie
    If you need a card on a budget, grab a GeForce 6600GT, very fast, very cheap.
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Just Joined!
    I have an FX5200 and have horrible frame rates when i play FFXI, mind you, I am still using WinXP. In my eyes it seems to be a driver issue, i had a driver from 2 years ago, and it worked fine, I installed the newest driver and all went to hell. I hope thats a startin point.

By the way, does anyone run Final Fantasy 11 on any linux version. I'm lookin to lose windows totally, so any info would be AWESOME!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowNuke
    By the way, does anyone run Final Fantasy 11 on any linux version. I'm lookin to lose windows totally, so any info would be AWESOME!!
    Maybe you could look into cedega. i know it's a pay solution, and (preferably) i'd see real linux ports coming out. But as a stop gap until ports become regular, i think it's my preferred option sonce gaming was the only thing holding me back to windows.

I am thinking about upgrading to the latest 'unstable' nvidia drivers since i dont think i noticed problems like this before i had to downgrade. One way to find out i guess!!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    Quote Originally Posted by trolf
    recently however, i have started noticing that i get AWFUL frame rates if i walk thru a smoke grenade though.
    So you mean you've just noticed it recently? Or that it hasn't happened always, only recently?
    Yeh, i hadn't noticed it before. I personally dont tend to use Smoke grenades, but there's always someone that will use em. I dont think i had any problems using my MX400, and that had 64mb SD ram, so i would have thought the FX5200 would have been able to outperform that heap!

Don't know a thing about Counterstrike, but would there be any effect removal modifications / tools?
    I have tried lowering the quality of the smokeand i still only get upto 7FPS, but that i was getting before lowering the quality, but lowering the resolution and colour depth.

Any more ideas?
    GeForce FX 5200 here, I have _EXACTLY_ the same problem with cedega.

Quote Originally Posted by !=
    GeForce FX 5200 here, I have _EXACTLY_ the same problem with cedega.
    I have this problem in windows aswell..... not just under cedega.... must be a hardware issue rather than a software issue. I've disabled a few things that'llput load on the GPU, just need to get CS working again under cedega to test the differences.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2