Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys. first question for a while hehe, but here goes. I have been playing counter strike a bit since i got home from uni. recently however, i have started ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Terrible framerates on Counterstrike

Hi guys. first question for a while hehe, but here goes.

I have been playing counter strike a bit since i got home from uni.

recently however, i have started noticing that i get AWFUL frame rates if i walk thru a smoke grenade though.

When i say awful, (roughly from the FPS meter) i'd guess at around th 4FPS mark!!

Anyone got any ideas?

I got a Geforce FX5200, running Gentoo, got the nvidia drivers installed ok, run counter strike at 1024x768 32 bit colour. I did also go and try it in windows, but i get awful frame rates there aswell. Something anyone can do that will make linux play BETTER than windows?

Cheers guys.

Steve
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    1.6 has a smoke quality setting I believe. Lower it. If it performs badly in both Linux and Windows, you card simply doesn't like it (or both Linux and Windows drivers have a big problem).
    200mhz Pentium 1 with MMX, 128mb RAM, 10gb Seagate HDD. Beastly.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    1.6 has a smoke quality setting I believe. Lower it. If it performs badly in both Linux and Windows, you card simply doesn't like it (or both Linux and Windows drivers have a big problem).
    Dont suppose u happen to know where this setting is do you? Only graphical settings i can find are rsulution, windowed and color depth

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    its in advanced

not a lot of difference having changed that to a lower quality, still only getting about 7FPS which i got after lowering the resolution.

Linux Newbie
    Well, the FX5200 is a rather poor card, but that sort of performance in two seperate OSes.. It has to be a hardware problem of some sort. Check the fan is working, the card properly seated, etc.

Just Joined!
    recently however, i have started noticing that i get AWFUL frame rates if i walk thru a smoke grenade though.
    So you mean you've just noticed it recently? Or that it hasn't happened always, only recently?

Don't know a thing about Counterstrike, but would there be any effect removal modifications / tools?

Could it be that the smoke hasn't just been implemented well enough? Me and some other people have similar problems in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Though the particle effects in the game look like - pardon me- sh*t, they still manage to put certain PCs, which perform nicely in the same game in other circumstances, on their knees. Especially cloud and smoke effects look downright horrible, but it's unbelievable how negatively they can affect performance. And it seems to be a unique game related problem
    I can even remove those effects by using an edited data file, but it won't remove the problem completely. The performance increases, but it still seems that there's something happening though the effects aren't drawn.

Linux Newbie
    The smoke effects in CS are highly inefficient. The problem is, trying to bolt on a modern effect on an older engine can look good or bad (it tends to work pretty well on the HL engine), but it will always perform very badly. You can't disable smoke in CS because there are smoke grenades, if you could turn it right off it'd be an instant wallhack free of charge.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeh
    You can't disable smoke in CS because there are smoke grenades, if you could turn it right off it'd be an instant wallhack free of charge.
    Oh yes, of course. I'll go turn my brains on.

Quote Originally Posted by trolf
    So you mean you've just noticed it recently? Or that it hasn't happened always, only recently?
    Yeh, i hadn't noticed it before. I personally dont tend to use Smoke grenades, but there's always someone that will use em. I dont think i had any problems using my MX400, and that had 64mb SD ram, so i would have thought the FX5200 would have been able to outperform that heap!

Don't know a thing about Counterstrike, but would there be any effect removal modifications / tools?
    I have tried lowering the quality of the smokeand i still only get upto 7FPS, but that i was getting before lowering the quality, but lowering the resolution and colour depth.

Any more ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast