Find the answer to your Linux question:
So...is it like the ndiswrapper of gaming? I am looking for every friggin excuse to get out of Windows possible...could this be it? (the main reason i stay with windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cedega?

So...is it like the ndiswrapper of gaming?

I am looking for every friggin excuse to get out of Windows possible...could this be it?

(the main reason i stay with windows is for gaming).

Linux User
    I guess you could call it the "ndiswrapper of gaming". Cedega uses WineX, which is pretty much a Windows emulator. I've had some success with Cedega, but not as much as I would like to. So far the only games I've gotten to run were Starcraft and Jedi Knights Academy.

I do know there are some games you can run natively on Linux, but I can't remember which ones right now. I believe games that rely heavily on DirectX do not sit well with Linux since it is Windows' software. But I'm sure there a lot of people with different results or better success with Cedega than I have...

Cedega is an extension of Wine that provides DirectX support.

Basically, if you have no Windows installed, here's how it works:

It will create a virtual Windows environment in ~/.transgaming. It contains a fake registry, and it translates paths into drives (so for example, my "C drive" is ~/.transgaming/.drive_c/).

You can then run Cedega on, say, an install.exe file from a CD. It will run the setup, and you can install to the C Drive. The app thinks it's in Windows, since it's been provided with an artificial Windows environment. So all installs happily.

So to play Starcraft for example, I do:

Code:
    cd ~/.transgaming/.drive_c/Program\ Files/Starcraft/
    cedega StarCraft.exe
    Voila!

If you want to try out Cedega, get WineCVS:

http://winecvs.linux-gamers.net/index.php/Main_Page

This script will automate the CVS process, and will install Cedega as "cvscedega". It doesn't work nearly as well as the full version, but it works pretty well for stuff.

The actual Cedega costs $5/month.

There is a Games Database available at:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

And so you know, Cedega can run anything, not only games. But CrossOver Office, I hear, is better for non-game apps.

As a happy sidenote, you can specify in your Cedega config what dimensions the game should be run at. So I can play full-screen games inside a nice window. w00+!!11

EDIT:

For the record, I currently play / have played with Cedega:

- Nexus TK
    - Starcraft
    - Warcraft III

Many people also play World of Warcraft over Cedega.

Also, I play Neverwinter Nights over a native Linux client. So check if your favorite games have a Linux client, since it makes life even easier.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Wow, great info

Ok, so do you have to put in that command each time you want to play a game? If so...that's kinda wierd. Couldnt you just make a short-cut on the desktop?

Also I already have Windows installed, so since I do...do I NEED Cedega?

Linux User
    There's GUI for Cedega called Point2Play that will allow you to install and run a game from a GUI if you don't want to run it through a CLI with Cedega.

As for needing Cedega, that depends on if your thinking of ditching Windows for Linux. It's all up to you and what you feel more comfortable with. Don't feel bad if your only reason to dual boot is to play games on Windows. I do it all the time; although, I'm not too proud to mention that... I'm kidding.

Well, for me, thanks to Cedega, I can now exist entirely in Linux.

Also, I have a few scripts set up. So for example, in reality, when I want to play Starcraft, I actually just type:

Code:
    games/starcraft
    Which then runs the following:

Code:
    cd ~/.transgaming/c_drive/Program\ Files/Starcraft
    cedega StarCraft.exe
    cd -
    And I've not yet used Point2Play (though I have it installed), because I rather like the commandline. But from what I understand, you can just pick games right out of there.

Just Joined!
    WINE Is Not an Emulator thats what WINE stands for. On winehq, they explain it quite clearly that wine is more of a windows compatibility layer than an emulator.

I have got Cedega the real version, from a site for free

Right now Guild Wars could not install from CD-ROM since I still have the eject issue even with the -monitor-cdrom-eject fix. Even the kill all comand did not work.

So i just downloaded the client, it installed no probs, but runs like ass. This is probably because I can't login to point to play which automaticaly sets up cedega for optimal use with distro and hardware.

I guess Ill try the CVS version.

Linux Newbie
    Cabhan, would you mind telling me your specs, since you seem to be able to run Warcraft 3 with no hassle (not that Ive tried myself though)

256 MB Physical RAM
    2 GB Swap
    nVidia GeForce 4
    Soundblaster Live! 5.1 PCI MP3+

It should be noted that Warcraft 3 does have two issues:

1) When you try to play it, after the splash screen comes up, you have to enter (in a different terminal):

Code:
    eject /dev/hdc (or whatever your CD-ROM device is)
    Basically, you need to eject the CD in order to play WC3. It's a little weird.

2) The Map Editor does not work.

However, ym attempts at installing / running / playing have all worked.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. Thats relieving. I thought you had a more powerful machine, but mine is similar. I guess I should give Cedega a try then.