Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy all, I'm hop[ing someone will be able to help me with a couple of things. I'm looking for a media player that can patch up a few gaps. Right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Media players and mplayer

Howdy all, I'm hop[ing someone will be able to help me with a couple of things. I'm looking for a media player that can patch up a few gaps. Right now I'm using mplayer and xine. mplayer for music and xine for dvd's (for some reason, dvd sound is broken in mplayer [any suggestions on how to fix this would be great]). But I miss a couple of features from various Windows apps that I havent seen replicated in Linux. Mostly it's just having a centralised "library", and a "search my computer for new media" button. Ideally I'd like to be able to drop xine, so I have one good app that does it all. Any suggestions?

I use Amarok, and find it to be a little like WMP but not as sluggish or troublesome when it comes to managing music. I use Kaffeine for video but I don't really do much managing there - just drag and drop. Amarok is excellent, and my favourite media player on any platform.

In the preferences for MPlayer you can choose the audio output plugin. Find the one in that list that works for you.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

whats the problem with mplayer dvd sound? does it make a funny noise?
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

I prefer ogle for DVD's, since it has good menu support.

That said, there's a KDE app called (I think) Juk that has a centralized library.

That's the only one that I know of. I don't like centralized libraries :P.

Just Joined!
    I did a bit more rooting around and found that the problem with the dvd sounds was in fact just with DTS soundtracks, reular one's work fine (if a little quiet). I'll look into amarok and see how I like that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    I prefer ogle for DVD's, since it has good menu support.

That said, there's a KDE app called (I think) Juk that has a centralized library.

That's the only one that I know of. I don't like centralized libraries :P.
    same like u mate, Ogle runs well on my FC4 though there're some probs with playing speed