Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to configure mplayer to open up a control panel so that you can pause/ff/stop the movie once it has started playing? I can open the streaming ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pausing streaming wmv's

Is there any way to configure mplayer to open up a control panel so that you can pause/ff/stop the movie once it has started playing? I can open the streaming video, and watch it from start to end, but I can't stop the damned thing once it starts without closing the whole window and then starting over from the very beginning when i re-open the site. Is there any way to do this or do I just need to deal with the fact that wmv's are going to be a pain and should be avoided at all costs?

Have you tried using gMplayer?

Linux Guru
    Are you opening mplayer from the console or are you using the mplayer plugin in mozilla/firefox/konqueror etc...

Just Joined!
    I have not tried gmplayer...should I?

I am using the plugin for firefox and it embeds the video right in the window so that I don't get the pop-up mplayer.

Linux Guru
    There should be a couple of small controls on the bottom, if not try right clicking on the stream. I am able to control media, I get play,pause,stop and search forward and back.

Just Joined!

Yeah...

Thats what I thought too, but https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/eloneill...g?uniq=-j7xs3r
    https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/eloneill...g?uniq=-j7xs3r
    is all I get. The first is while its loading, and the second is the video (which snapshotted blue) but there is no toolbar...It's weird and frustrating am I using a bad version of Mplayer? I updated/upgraded and nothing changed. I'm not sure exactly what the issue is here, but it was the same when I was running suse except this is a embedded player. Neither gave me those options
    [/url]

Linux Guru
    That mplayer looks completely different to mine... Where did you get that one?

Just Joined!

Debian Pure

I got fed up with trying to install the mPlayer plug-in myself, so I just reinstalled debianpure which you can find at debianpure.com. Its sarge with all sorts of add in's already precompiled for you. It has java, mplayer, flash, ect. already put together. It's pretty handy I think, except I still don't have a control window. I am going to try and post this message in the debian area and see if others are also having a problem with this there.