Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Thanks for the last post.. worked all night tryin to get programs to load... I will try that tonight.. wish there was a program to do all that for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

whew!!!

Thanks for the last post.. worked all night tryin to get programs to load... I will try that tonight.. wish there was a program to do all that for a idiot like me!! BUT I kinda like the idea of being in control of the whole process.. ( if I ever get control ) Coming from XP to this has really been an eye opener!
    Alienware M17
    Dual ATI 3870 512Mb ram each
    intel 5300 wireless
    Ubuntu 8.04

welcome to the fold brother. i was like you as well. installing RPMs through YaST is fine, it is my exclusive way of doing it. for future reference you may also come across tar.bz2 which is unzipped with
    Code:
    tar xjvf foo.tar.bz2
    and then compiled (./configure make make install) the same way. if you're curious, compiling source code "optimises" it for your system which offers speed and compatibility advantages over RPM and other binaries (autopackage, .bin etc).
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Re: My appologies

Quote Originally Posted by tomeriker
    I think when "Vista comes out of the closet" and you have no control over advertisements. ( just what I heard ) and every thing on Microsofts side of the web will be billed by the month, people will look to linux and say " hey!! why is everything free over there?"
    I do have to admitt, I did love XP.. I didn't think it could get much better. But microsoft users are in for a big suprise when vista hits the market and is crammed down their throats and "dot net" starts billing.

What? you want to use photoshop? Are you paid up for this month? It must be time to renew your subscription!
    WinXP Pro has .net, do you have to pay monthly? I love the way people pass around horror stories about things they've never tried. Vista Beta looks good so far, in fact it runs faster than WinXP Pro on my test rig, and doesn't have any "Ads".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2