Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
OK... I'm really new to linux. I have read thread after thread and tried to type the code just the way it is written. I don't know why but none ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

installing in suse??

OK... I'm really new to linux. I have read thread after thread and tried to type the code just the way it is written. I don't know why but none of it works. I have found out if I just download an rpm into my /home/<username>/documents folder all I have to do is right click on the rpm file icon. this pulls up another window and I select install with YAST. Yast does the rest... So can anyone please tell me why that works but typing in the code doesn't?? and also, is there a reason why I shouldn't install that way?? I have tried many times to install a "tar.gz." but no luck.

Linux Enthusiast
    Hi,

To install a .tar.gz file, you unzip it, with tar zxjf <filename> and then look into the folder that it creates to see the instructions, sometimes it just contains a .exe file, and sometimes you have to ./configure, make, su, make install.

Linux Newbie
    I tried that. do you have to type the entire name.. <filename.tar.gz> or just the filename? I tried filename and got an error. I went step by step by the instructions in the forum here.. I need to find someone close by to tutor me...

Linux User
    You should be typing in the entire name, so it would look like so:

Code:
    tar -xzvf filename.tar.gz
    By the way, what is it that you are trying to install?

Linux Newbie

installs in suse

I have tried a few linux games from different web sites, an update for xine to play dvd's, etc... Really I just am trying to figure it out..

I have about 40 people that I maintain computers for. (not as a business,just free work) I am really sick of winblows. Here is my plan... SinceI maintain their computers, once I get a little better at this, Linux will have some new recruits.

I personally have been running suse on a test computer for the last few months. On a network loaded with viruses, with no added virus protection. I haven't even had a hiccupp. Linux is increadible. Since I don't get paid to work on these computers, my goal is to " NOT " work on them. LINUX, LINUX, LINUX.

back to the topic: I was just wondering if my method of installing RPM's is ok? ( browse to the .exe file and just right click and select "install with YAST2 ")? As for a tar.gz. I will try your way tonight and see if that works.
    Inevidably, someone is gonna want a program that isn't on my suse site to download..

Thank you for your help. if it doesn't work I will get all the error messages and post them. I still haven't gotten my cddrive to mount yet! But I can just brouse to it and see all the files. Does that mean suse auto mounts?

Linux User
    Yeah, just give yourself some time to get used to Linux. It's not the easiest thing, but you can learn it.

"Install with YaST" is perfectly fine if you're installing *.rpm files. You can either do it that way or do it through a terminal/CLI by typing in:

Code:
    rpm -i filename.rpm
    You can view more options for rpm by doing:

Code:
    rpm --help
    Hopefully all goes well and good luck with the learning process.

Linux User

Re: installs in suse

Quote Originally Posted by tomeriker
    I am really sick of winblows.
    uh do you mean windows?

its a forum rule not to use words like this one, and other various ones, such as "windoze", "microshit", or "m$".

Linux Newbie

My appologies

I love windows!!! I just don't care for Microsofts version of it. I guess when you have all the resources money can buy you can't be expected to do it right.. I think when "Vista comes out of the closet" and you have no control over advertisements. ( just what I heard ) and every thing on Microsofts side of the web will be billed by the month, people will look to linux and say " hey!! why is everything free over there?"
    I do have to admitt, I did love XP.. I didn't think it could get much better. But microsoft users are in for a big suprise when vista hits the market and is crammed down their throats and "dot net" starts billing.

What? you want to use photoshop? Are you paid up for this month? It must be time to renew your subscription!

Linux User
    i highly dought it will be a monthly charge, but i dont dought that it could cost 300+$ (around how much the xbox originaly costed). Really from the looks of it they havnt changed much sence XP, besides for the gfx of course, but open gl should still beat whatever theyve got.

Linux User
    I forgot to mention that applications with .tar.gz are files that you usually need to compile, so once you get them untarred, you will have to do the following (providing everything you need prior is already installed):

Code:
    cd untarred_directory
    ./configure
    make
    su
    <enter root password>
    make install

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast