Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok, as some people may have noticed, Steam has suddenly stopped working under cedega (for me at least). the update screen runs and then it crashes. anyone managed to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Steam and Cedega

ok, as some people may have noticed, Steam has suddenly stopped working under cedega (for me at least). the update screen runs and then it crashes. anyone managed to get it working and if so, how?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Linux Guru
    I noticed that! Thought it was just me, because I had it running a few weeks ago, as an experiment before I bought HL2. I uninstalled it anyway, just keeping things clean. Now I've reinstalled it, and while updating it runs for a while then drops memory dumps everywhere. Often it will push wine/cedega pretty hard to and hog CPU. I've no suggestions on how to fix this, I'm suffering too but I will post anything I get. Anything on your side would be good to hear too.

unfortunately, i'm no tech engineer. when i've finished downloading gentoo, i'll have to boot into SuSE (& KDE) to run k3b and burn it to CD. i'll post the error message from steam and see if that helps. unfortunately i don't have point2play and have to run from command line. if i figure anything out, i'll post it, but i'll be incredibly lucky.
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    well steams update last week or something recently caused a problem, cedega is at 4.4.1 now so it will fix that problem. so try going to 4.4.1 and see if it fixes anything.

Re: Steam and Cedega

Quote Originally Posted by d38dm8nw81k1ng
    ok, as some people may have noticed, Steam has suddenly stopped working under cedega (for me at least). the update screen runs and then it crashes. anyone managed to get it working and if so, how?
    me too.

keep us updated, i will do the same.

also will try and get 4.4.1
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

ok, here's the error message. it appears in a windows-like box:
    Code:
    Steam.exe (main exception): Win32 StructuredExecption at 456AF25F : Attempt to read from virtual address 7471641 without appropriate access rights.
    and when i open a terminal to execute the command it just gives me:
    Code:
    Shutting Down:
    **counts up to 30
    and then displays the same error message.

apart from the:

456AF25F
    and

I got the EXACT same thing! Though i assume that's memory addresses, which is why it's different, since it's different each time i try it.

I thought maybe it was a permissions thing, since one day, my DVD drive stopped me playing DVD's. thought that maybe when the permissions changed there that maybe something steam needs, changed permissions aswell. So i tried it as root, and still get this error, so isn't a permissions error.

I also noticed that it first starts updating steam, and then gets to 26%, the window dissappears, then reappears, gets to 100% and then does the shutting down stuff.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    sdousley, thats happens in windows too!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by NixtoN
    sdousley, thats happens in windows too!
    lol ya it does (just booted into win 2000)

Linux Guru
    I'm all gravy now, steam runs fine now. However I'm having trouble running the registration for half life, it says insert cdrom. I have made a pointer to the cdrom but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast