Find the answer to your Linux question:
At the risk of sounding like a die hard, is there any way, short of installing an x86 kernel and rebooting to it when I want to play, to get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

UT: GOTY

At the risk of sounding like a die hard, is there any way, short of installing an x86 kernel and rebooting to it when I want to play, to get UT: GOTY installed on an AMD64 system?

If not, I'll probably just go with UT2004, but I've got a lot of friends with older computers incapable of running 2004, so I'd REALLY like to be able to run GOTY without resorting to Windows.

Re: UT: GOTY

Quote Originally Posted by rafgar
    At the risk of sounding like a die hard, is there any way, short of installing an x86 kernel and rebooting to it when I want to play, to get UT: GOTY installed on an AMD64 system?
    Yes, there is. I imagine your problem is that the install script you downloaded (something like this one) is erroring out saying it can't install on an X86_64 architecture? I worked around this using a handy little utility called linux32. It's included in SuSE 64-bit and I'm not sure whether it exists on other 64-bit distributions. You run it like this:

Code:
    linux32 sh utgotyinstaller.sh
    Basically what linux32 does is fool the installer into thinking it's installing on an x86 machine. Once it's installed the game should run just fine, since AMD64s and Intel EM64T processors can run 32-bit code unmodified. Hope that helps.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    That got it installed, but now I have another problem. First, I got the error

Code:
    Couldn't run Unreal Tournament (ut-bin). Is UT_DATA_PATH set?
    Which I fixed with

Code:
    export UT_DATA_PATH=/usr/games/ut/System
    But then I started getting the error

Code:
    /usr/bin/ut: line 84: /usr/games/ut/System/ut-bin: No such file or directory
    /usr/bin/ut: line 84: /usr/games/ut/System/ut-bin: Success
    Looking at /usr/games/ut (the install directory I used), it appears that this script is simply supposed to launch ut-bin in the System directory. When I went to that directory and tried to launch it with bash, it told me that it didn't exist, even though I can see the file plain as day with ls or Konqueror. I've checked the permissions, and it is executable, but the system refuses to see it when I try to run it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close