Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I'm using FC4 and trying to get unreal tournament (the old one) working. I have found an installer for it from loki. First problem is that there are 2 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unreal Tournament Problem

Hi

I'm using FC4 and trying to get unreal tournament (the old one) working.
    I have found an installer for it from loki. First problem is that there are 2 installers actually. One for the GOTY (game of the year) edition and one for the normal. I know I have the goty because thats what it says when I install the game in windows. However the GOTY installer stops at some point near the end and asks for the second disc. There is no second disc though, and the game installs fine on windows. Is there also a version of the game that comes on 2 discs?
    Then I tried to install it using the other installer. And it completed. Problem is, it still does not run
    This is what I get when I try to run it (output is from log file but it is the same on the terminal)

Log: Log file open, Tue Sep 6 17:45:00 2005
    Init: Name subsystem initialized
    Init: Version: 436
    Init: Compiled: Oct 30 2000 11:53:24
    Init: Command line: -log
    Init: Base directory:
    Init: Character set: ANSI
    Log: Bound to Engine.so
    Log: Bound to Core.so
    Init: Object subsystem initialized
    Init: CPU Speed=567.013134 MHz
    Init: Unreal engine initialized
    Log: Bound to SDLDrv.so
    Init: Joystick [0] : Unknown Joystick
    Init: SDLClient initialized.
    Log: Bound to Render.so
    Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
    Init: Rendering initialized
    Log: LoadMap: Entry
    Warning: Failed to load 'Entry': Can't find file 'Entry'
    Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file 'Entry'
    Critical: appError called:
    Critical: Failed to enter Entry: Can't find file 'Entry'
    Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
    Exit: Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
    Exit: Exiting.
    Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
    Uninitialized: Log file closed, Tue Sep 6 17:45:01 2005

So it looks like I'm missing a map called entry. There is a map named entry.unr.uz in the maps directory, although its like 4k only. I tried renaming that to just entry. Then it no longer displayed those warnings but exited with a SIGSEV error. If I tried to rename any other map to entry the result was the same.

If anyone still has it installed can you please tell me how it behaves? What map it is trying to load, how it is named etc. And if you have the GOTY edition how many discs it is.

Linux Engineer
    UT GOTY is 2 discs, comes with Unreal Gold, and a demo of Unreal Championship.. so in total, it's 4 discs.

it ran fine for me, but i did need to use both discs to install it.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    My version was given for free with a magazine and was just one disc. I guess there is not much I can do then if I dont get the version it wants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by lordnothing
    UT GOTY is 2 discs, comes with Unreal Gold, and a demo of Unreal Championship.. so in total, it's 4 discs.

it ran fine for me, but i did need to use both discs to install it.
    Where is Unreal Gold found on the UT GOTY discs?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Maybe If I could get the executable from the GOTY version install it would run. When start the goty install, it fails because of the second disc and then rolls back.
    You think you could email me the binary or post it somewhere so I can test it?

Just Joined!
    Sorry if this problem has been resolved already, but I just stumbled onto these forums.

Any file that has the extension .uz is a zipped file (presumably "Unreal Zip"). To unzip it, go into the UT system directory and run
    Code:
    ucc decompress X
    where X is the filename that you wish to decompress.
    I'm not sure where the decompressed file gets put, but it should not be too hard to find it and shift it to the same place as the .uz file.

Also, the GOTY edition is 2 disks, but on windows each has its own seperate installer, so I'm assuming that the installer you have is trying to install the bonus CD at the same time.

Just so you know, I'm not a linux user, so this info may not be 100% accurate.
    Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgles
    Also, the GOTY edition is 2 disks, but on windows each has its own seperate installer, so I'm assuming that the installer you have is trying to install the bonus CD at the same time.
    Yes, the Linux install script found here assumes you have the 2-disc retail Unreal Tournament Game Of The Year Edition, and installs the 2nd "Bonus" disc at the same time. The version the original poster has did not come with the second disc...and that would be the original poster's problem in a nutshell, if I'm reading it correctly.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants